question

rldleblanc avatar image
rldleblanc asked

Step up autotransformer hums only on generator power.

I have a autotransformer in step-up mode with some relays that switch between shore and generator power (also switches the output between input 1 & 2 on a Quattro (Quattro 48/8000/110-2x100) to match). When I'm stepping up shore power the autotransformer is quiet and cool, when the autotransformer is stepping up the generator it's loud and warm with the same amperage.

The generator is an Onan QD 6000 RV generator that has two 120v legs on the same phase. It is a pure sine inverter in the generator. When we use our induction cooktop while the Quattro is inverter, on 120v or 240v shore power, it is quiet, but when the generator is running and the Quattro is in charge or assist mode the cooktop hums very loudly as well. The Quattro reports that the frequency is pretty stable from the generator under load.

I thought it may be an issue with ground bonding. I disconnected the ground from the generator and tried to get the Quattro to close the remote relay on the downstream autotransformer but I couldn't get the Assistant to close the relay when on generator. One odd thing is that the downstream autotransformer relay light slowly lights up over time but not fully and I'm not sure what's causing that.

I'd appreciate any help (no the generator can't be configured for 240v, I wish it could). Thanks!

GeneratorAutotransformer
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

0 Answers