question

steffenbrand2607 avatar image
steffenbrand2607 asked

BMV 700 SOC calculation

Dear everybody,

I am not quite sure whether my BMV 700 is calculating the SOC in the right way.

I have a 24 V system with two 150 Ah AGM Batteries in series. Fully charged when reaching 27.60 V (each 13.8 V).

During the night the batteries are discharged and and often reach a voltage level around 24.3 to 24.0 V. Then, the BMV 700 says the the SOC is 90 % respectiveley 86 %, see pictures below:

1.png

2.png

For me, 12.05 V are surely not 86% of the SOC as this surely needs to be quite lower as the chart (from the internet) shows:

5.png

What is wrong here? Can anybody help? Please also see my settings for the BMV 700:

3.png

Thanks a lot

Steffen

BMV Battery MonitorSOC
1.png (55.4 KiB)
2.png (48.1 KiB)
5.png (24.0 KiB)
3.png (212.9 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell answered ·

Your BMV may be synchronizing to 100% before they are actually full. What are you charging them with (solar or grid power) and what absorption voltage. You need to be charging then at something like 28.8V not 27.6V. In the BMV set the charged voltage to 28.4V and the tail current to 2% or less, I use 0.8% for my AGM batteries. You may have been undercharging your batteries.

The other check is to make sure your shunt is wired correctly so it is counting all loads. There MUST be only connection on the battery negative and that is the shunt and that goes to the battery side of the shunt. There MUST be only the battery connection on the battery side of the shunt. All other connections including, all loads, inverters, all chargers, system ground and on boats or vehicles connection to the chassis or hull MUST go to the system/load side of the shunt.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

steffenbrand2607 answered ·

@pwfarnell, Thank you for your answer. I only charge them with solar panels (2x405 Wp). Absorption voltage in the MPPT100|50 is 28.8 V, float is 27.6 V please see here:

6.png

I changed the settings in the BMV to the following values:

7.jpg

The installation was made by another electrician together with a Victron Energy retailer, so I assume that the shunt was connected properly. I will try whether the changed settings will have an effect on the SOC calculation and will let you know.

Thanks again and have a great evening.

Steffen

6.png (186.7 KiB)
7.jpg (265.2 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
As it's solar, you might want to increase the absorption time. 6 hours is ok when sunny, but not in extended cloudy conditions when you have very low charge rates.
Definitely increase the charge detection time, 3 mins is too low for solar. 10-15 mins would be better. 15 mins works well for me in Bavaria.

Es gibt auch 'n Deutschsprachige Bereich.

0 Likes 0 ·
steffenbrand2607 answered ·

@kevgermany , thank you. To which time shall I increase the absorption time? I live here in Bavaria too and wheather is quite cloudy/rainy these days.

I will increase the charge detection time to 15 mins.

Thanks a lot.

1 comment
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
For summer, 6hrs ok, for the rest of the year disable.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Victron BMV battery monitors product page