question

rbr avatar image
rbr asked

Compatability of temperature sensor with a BMV-712

I just purchased the BMV-712 kit complete with temp sensor inside the box. On the temp sensor there is a yellow tag that warns you this is for a BMV-702. Can this be hooked up to the battery positive and shunt safely? Thanks for any advice!

Temperature Sensor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Mark avatar image
Mark answered ·

Yes that's the correct temperature sensor for a BMV-702 or BMV-712 and doubles as the positive supply cable.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

rbr avatar image rbr commented ·

Perfect! Thanks

0 Likes 0 ·
motees avatar image
motees answered ·

Does that mean that the other cable included with the 712 is not needed? I have 2 cables connected from the shunt to the battery + terminal.

1 comment
2 |3000

Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·

@motees, I answered this elsewhere, but just in case you check this one first: both wires from the temperature sensor are needed; the red (fused) wire on the temp sensor replaces the standalone power wire to your shunt PCB in terminal B1; the black wire goes to B2.

0 Likes 0 ·
motees avatar image
motees answered ·

My temperature sensor does not have a black wire, which you say should be attached to +B2.

1 comment
2 |3000

Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·

If it doesn't look like this, you should check the authenticity of it... This is a Victron temperature sensor. If they've started manufacturing temp sensors without a black wire, it's news to me... not impossible that there's one I haven't seen, but it's unlikely. If, on the off chance that your temp sensor is both a genuine Victron product and doesn't have a black wire, then it could be safely assumed that the fused wire off the temp sensor is the "red" and the non-fused wire is the "black"... but if this isn't exactly what you have, I would contact the dealer where you purchased it and verify that you do have the proper sensor.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Victron temperature sensor disambiguation table - which product supports which sensor