question

maxr avatar image
maxr asked

SmartBatteryProtect 200A wont allow car to start

I installed a smart protect 200A and it let the car start once, but won't allow the car to start again. The battery is 100% charged. I have it set at 10v cutoff, 12v reset. If I bypass the smart protect, the car starts fine. What else can I try?

Battery Protect
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Michelle Konzack avatar image Michelle Konzack commented ·
The starter motors of 12V cars and trucks are in the range of 2kW (Benzin) and 5kW (Diesel) hence the inrush current of the Starter Motor can have easyly more then 220A or even over 600A.

I was unable to measure the one from my Mercedes Sprinter 313CDi hence I had to change the cabling because of the killswitch.

I left the VERY big cable from the Alternator to the Starter Relays and then to the Battery alone and used a second cable for the rest using the BatteryProtect 220.

0 Likes 0 ·
maxr avatar image maxr Michelle Konzack commented ·
That sounds viable. I wish they had of included something like that in the product documentation
0 Likes 0 ·
4 Answers
maxr avatar image
maxr answered ·

They really need to put that in the product documentation. It says a maximum pull of 600A, which is beyond what my RX-8 would pull to start the car. And if that is not an intended use, it should clearly be stated. I read the product documentation before purchasing. It did talk about inverters but not altinators. It also doesn't say anything about not being for automotive start use. Well, I guess I bought a glorified boat anchor :(

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·

The manual states -multiple times- that reverse current is forbidden, which precludes the installation of the unit directly in line with the start battery, since the start battery will be charged by the alternator and would therefore subject the SBP to reverse current.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

How exactly did you install the battery protect?

I think you killed the BP.

2 |3000

cardy01 avatar image
cardy01 answered ·

@Maxr if you installed it in the start battery positive circuit you probably drew around 600A through the battery protect .... @Matthias Lange - DE is probably correct - I guess you cooked it

2 |3000

maxr avatar image
maxr answered ·

Isn't that how the installation instructions show that it is to be installed? All of the documentation I se says to put it on the positive side of the battery.

1 comment
2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
Yes, but it's not designed to be used at a starter battery.

The starter pulls too much energy and the alternator is pushing energy through the BP in reverse which is forbidden.

1 Like 1 ·