question

max-logun avatar image
max-logun asked

Can I use the new solar and wind priority feature

Hi All

I'm trying to set my multi so I can use the new solar and wind priority feature but when I run the VE Config no advance tab is showing so I am unable to setup the solar and wind priority. I have installed the latest version of the software from Victron support 90.04.236 any help would be appreciated thank you

Venus OS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

7 Answers
marv2097 avatar image
marv2097 answered ·

Is the multi running firmware version 506 or later?
https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ve.bus:solar-and-wind-priority

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

max-logun avatar image
max-logun answered ·

Thanks for the reply Multi currently on 505 firmware, I'm guessing this needs updating?

1 comment
2 |3000

marv2097 avatar image marv2097 commented ·

Yes I would start with that, also check your GX device has v3.10 or later.

0 Likes 0 ·
max-logun avatar image
max-logun answered ·

@mary2097 I've updated the firmware and the tab is now showing so I can now setup the solar wind priority many thanks for your assistance much appreciated

2 |3000

max-logun avatar image
max-logun answered ·

Ok have now got my Solar and Wind priority set but not sure if it is correct because if the grid is connected the AC load is still being supplied from the Grid when there is lots of solar available for everything. Have I got something set up wrong I would like my system to use all solar first and only top up with grid when needed.

2 |3000

cardy01 avatar image
cardy01 answered ·

That's normal AC loads are kept on shore power and DC loads get the solar .....

2 |3000

max-logun avatar image
max-logun answered ·

@Cardy01 thank you for the response.

ok so how do I get it so that shore power is only used when there is not enough solar?

5 comments
2 |3000

cardy01 avatar image cardy01 commented ·
Depending on what you want to achieve "AC Ignore" might work for you.
0 Likes 0 ·
max-logun avatar image max-logun cardy01 commented ·
I just want the solar to be use first and grid used only to top up
0 Likes 0 ·
cardy01 avatar image cardy01 max-logun commented ·
You and everyone else ....
0 Likes 0 ·
max-logun avatar image max-logun cardy01 commented ·
So I'm assuming from your answer that it isn't currently possible?
0 Likes 0 ·
cardy01 avatar image cardy01 max-logun commented ·

The feature is designed for boats and RVs - so if your application is one of those it might work for you but .... it passes AC loads through the inverter and uses solar to top up the battery and support DC loads - if this is not what you want (and I don't think it is) then you may be better using AC Ignore

0 Likes 0 ·
4pierre avatar image
4pierre answered ·

So far I have not found a way to do this either. I would like the Multi's to always preserve an amount of battery at the bottom and I'm currently just switching off the breaker to my multiplus II's in split phase to stop them from using grid, than I plug them in when there is bad weather coming or its just been cloudy. My wish list would be have sustain mode to keep the batts from getting to low, then just use solar and battery for anything as long as the batts are above the minimum and maximize my green energy. To handle my loads that aren't critical I've been using home assistant and kasa plugs to turn loads on and off based on the state of the battery. Then as a safety mechanism a CC CV power supply that's set to 51 volts on my 48v lithium bank to preserve them just in case I forget to turn breaker on to the multis or I'm away. I'm thinking of getting a relay contactor between the breaker and the multi line in and having either my cerbo control it based on battery state, or home assistant unless I can find a simpler way to just have the mutis do it.

2 |3000

Related Resources