question

wrnoof avatar image
wrnoof asked

Using 230v 50 Hz power with Quattro 12/5000/220-2x100 120v

We are readying our USA boat to cross over to the EU. I have decided to install an isolation autotransformer to step 230v 50 Hz shore power down to the 120v range and to improve the boat's galvanic isolation/protection. The transformer output, however, will still be 50 Hz. Our Quattro 12/5000/220-2x100 120v operates on both 50 and 60 Hz frequencies, but I cannot tell from the owner's manual whether it will convert EU 50 Hz to 60 Hz so we can run our 60 Hz A/C and other consumers on EU shore power. I assume the Quattro must be set to use shore power only to charge our batteries and then invert 12v DC to 120v 60 Hz for use on board. Please advise if this is not the case. Also, are there any PowerControl, PowerAssist, DIP switch or other settings that ensure 50 Hz current is used only to charge the batteries and is not distributed to our applicances, etc.?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Chargerfrequency
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

That's a bit of a tough one; the unit can't charge and invert at the same time, unfortunately.

When connected to shore, the unit will pass through the shore power (having been already stepped down by the isolation transformer in this case) to power your AC loads and use whatever is left over for charging the batteries; this would unfortunately mean that it will also be passing through 50Hz to your AC loads. The unit cannot modulate the voltage nor the frequency of passed-through shore power - it is, as the name suggests, passed through.

When inverting, the unit will of course be providing the US 120V 60Hz that it is by default programmed to output - but if the unit is inverting, then it cannot charge the batteries.

If this is a relatively temporary excursion, I'd suggest just installing a world-voltage charger like the Phoenix Smart IP43 line or the Skylla-IP65 line that would keep your batteries charged from whatever AC voltage/frequency you have available at the time, and leaving the Quattro disconnected from shore so that it only provides the clean inverted 120v 60Hz to your loads. If it's a permanent move, then you may wish to discuss a more advanced alternative with a marine systems electrician.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.