question

iwanzz avatar image
iwanzz asked

Can I connect an 1800W max time switch to the remote switch plug of my Smart Battery Protect 100?

In other words, how much is the current running through the remote switch plug? The (digital) time switch I try to install doesnt function now. As said, the maximum switch capacity is 1800 watts or <8A. I have tested the system with a normal light switch and then it all works. I suspect the time switch is flawed, but Im not sure.

Battery Protect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

If you mean the little remote jumper, you may be overthinking it - there's no real current flowing through the remote jumper. Most remote switching is accomplished by just interrupting the continuity between the L pin and H pin of the jumper; when continuity is present, the unit is on and following its programming, when continuity is interrupted the unit is off.

Alternatively you can use the high- or low-side switching as described in the manual.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

iwanzz avatar image
iwanzz answered ·

Thank you for your rapid answer. I indeed meant the little remote jumper and was already afraid I was overthinking it/asking stupid questions. But I had to be shure since the setup didnt work with the time switch. The thing is probably just broken, since it looked already used when I unpacked it. Ill order another one now and then hopefully I can enjoy a fully automated "night mode" on my system soon. Thanks a lot!

3 comments
2 |3000

Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·
Hey, no such thing as a stupid question (well... there is, but this wasn't one) but how exactly does this time switch function? What exactly is it switching? I'm thinking that the signal it's sending or its mode of switching may just not be compatible with the Smart BatteryProtect. What comes to my mind when I hear "time switch" is one of those AC timers that you plug into the wall and then plug other AC loads into, which are great but of course could not be connected to a Smart BatteryProtect in any way since it's a DC component, so I assume you've got some other sort of timer mechanism, in which case how exactly it functions will be critical to determine whether it will work with the SBP at all.
1 Like 1 ·
iwanzz avatar image iwanzz Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks for thinking with me. Im afraid I didnt look into the specs that deep. It happens to be an AC timer. Though its not one of those where you simply plug in loads. You have to connect it properly via the phase and zero wires (if thats proper english). So I thought it was just a simple matter of switching the SDB remote on and off, cutting or reestablishing the throughput - with the timer console running on its own LR44 batteries.... But Ive found another timer now thats specified as 24V ac/dc, maybe that will do the trick? (My SDB is connected to a 24V set of batteries) Thanks again!

0 Likes 0 ·
Sarah avatar image Sarah iwanzz commented ·

@Iwanzz You can also do this using the relay in a Cerbo or Ekrano if you have one.

0 Likes 0 ·
iwanzz avatar image
iwanzz answered ·

Thanks, Sarah. Unfortunately I dont have one those. So Im looking at about €500 for a Cerbo/Touch combi against €29 for the timer switch (which I like to be able to operate manually also). But Ill find a way ...

2 |3000