question

solarlion avatar image
solarlion asked

What is the "RamDiskMode"?

There is a MQTT Endpoint in settings called "RamDiskMode". But I cant find a single Ressource about it, what is it, how does it work? Anyone has an idea?

"settings/Settings/Vrmlogger/RamDiskMode"

cerbo gxMQTT
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

@Solarlion

Moving to modifications

But this link may help.

https://linuxhint.com/create-ramdisk-linux/

Guessing it's a boolean indicator.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

solarlion avatar image solarlion commented ·
Why modification? Its build in from Victron and in each cerboGX by default.

I know what a RamDisk is, but not what Victron is doing with it.

What is stored inside the Ramdisk - and why? Maybe logging is directed tehre to reduce writing to eMMC for duration? Why is it then disabled by default?

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ solarlion commented ·
Because MQTT content
0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

Looked at the code and it appears this only affects VRM logging when an error writing to the internal storage or an inserted SD/USB card occurs.

The VRM logging stores records in local storage only until they can be sent to the server. Using a RAM disk for this temporary storage means stored records would be lost on a GX device reboot. So it is only a last ditch effort to maintain records.

2 comments
2 |3000

solarlion avatar image solarlion commented ·

Thank you. Any chance to activate this by intend to save eMMC writes or is it only active after the file system is broken?

Currently CerboGX write about 9 GB/Month even with VRM disabled. That calculates to exactly 20 Years of lifetime of the eMMC - no spare time left...

0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem solarlion commented ·
I suspect not. I believe most of the writes are to the VRM cache if the VRM server isn't accessible, for settings updates and to logs. Settings updates MUST be non-volatile or their values would not survive a reboot/crash. Logs are valuable for post-mortem should there be a problem.

VRM cache is moved to an inserted SD card which can then be easily replaced.

I suppose you could mount /data to the SD card also but that takes changes to Venus OS every time the firmware is updated.

0 Likes 0 ·