question

stefan-klimek avatar image
stefan-klimek asked

Fault in Pylontech UP5000 Battery when loading from MPPT 150/45

Hello,
I have a set of Pylontech UP5000 Batteries which get loaded from my Inverter (DEYE) and the BMS is connectet from Battery to Inverter - no problems here.
I have another String of Panels connected to a Victron MPPT 150/45 and try to load the battery simultaneously but the Battery goes on fault. Battery type at MPPT is set to "7".
Is there anything else to setup? How? USB cable? Is the MPPT overcharging as there is no connetion to the BMS? I hope this is possible in general?

Thanks a lot,

Stefan

MPPT ControllersPylontech
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Meine_Energiewende avatar image
Meine_Energiewende answered ·

Hi ! There is no default Setting from Victron for a 15s (Pylontech) battery. Switch position 7 is for 16s Lifepo4 batteries. So your MPPT is trying to overcharge the pylontech. You have to configure the MPPT via Bluetooth and Victron-Connect Software. If your MPPT does not have BT, you have to buy a VE-direct to BT adapter, to configure it. Without changing the output voltage, you will not get happy with that.

Jens

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

stefan-klimek avatar image stefan-klimek commented ·
Thanks, I'd thought it's like this.

Thanks for your confirmation.
Could you advice a loading Voltage? What to setup?

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

This isn't a great combo - third party inverter connected to battery management and an independent charger that isn't aware of anything else in the environment.

When the battery gets full or imbalanced and doesn't want charge it will tell one charger to stop charging, but the other will continue.

You might be best off reducing the charge voltages on the solar charger (pylon publish their requirements in their manuals, so have a read) so it backs off before the battery is full.

As advised configure a custom lithium charge profile via the app.

It isn't the sexiest way of going about it, but when you pick and mix your gear there will be tradeoffs.

Alternatively if you want to prioritise the victron charger you could add a cerbo GX, connect the battery management and mppt to that instead and configure the Deye charging to be voltage based.

1 comment
2 |3000

stefan-klimek avatar image stefan-klimek commented ·

You're right, but I guess there is no other way to connect the BMS from Pylontch to the MPPT from Victron as the BMS is connected to the DEYE inverter.

I also decharge the Battery constantly with a DC-DC converter because most of my consumption is 24V. And I want to get rid of all the 230V to 24V power adapter.

0 Likes 0 ·