question

seamaster avatar image
seamaster asked

Development help - Company trying to develop Victron compatible products needs some clarifications

@mvader (Victron Energy)

Hi Matthijs,
(Sorry did not know any other way to reach you)

We manufacture great little NMEA2000/CAN/J1939 devices with intuitive wifi interface. We have many of our users/install base asking for integration of our devices to Victron products mainly Cerbo GX. Our company is NMEA2000 member and we have been attempting to adopt some of our NMEA2000 products to interface and display on Cerbo GX.

We have few products that will be great fit with Victron product line and especially with Cerbo GX, will be great interface to display Generator's information. this product currently can output the following NMEA2000 and also J1939 PGNs:

screenshot-2023-10-07-at-120015.png

One of our type devices: our tank level sensors currently successfully display on the Cerbo GX,

1696642191515.pngbut our other devices such as temperature sensors, AC, Monitor, DC current sensors, do not show up what so ever. We tried looking around for information, but no luck, can someone contact me and give us few pointers please? I'm sure it is just minimal effort required to get us on the right track.

Thank you in advance,

Jordan Shishmanov,

<< Promotional content moderated>>

cerbo gxVenus OSNMEA 2000 - N2K
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi @Seamaster ,

I’ll also send you a mail - but just so anyone else knows the answer as well: we don’t read data (for the types of devices you mention ) from the N2K bus.

The only data read is GPS and Tanklevels, I think. To know for sure see the GX manuals.

It would be nice to read more, I understand that, but its quite the effort on our side and we keep most of our (limited) development capacity focussed on readout and monitoring of Victron (Power) products.

I hope you understand.

Matthijs

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

seamaster avatar image
seamaster answered ·

@mvader (Victron Energy) thank you for taking time to respond to me.

I read your answer, and I see some discrepancies. You are saying “we don’t read data (for the types of devices you mention ) from the N2K bus”. While this is partially correct, Cerbo GX reads and displays data from WS500 alternator regulator. The most often demand we get is to get our contactless high current sensors to read alternator current and display on the GX. That same data being read from the shunt of the WS500 we are trying to get through to Cerbo GX. Also you read and display similar data from smart solar chargers over Ve.CAN

My thoughts are that there must be some proprietary messages exchanged with WS500 in order to authenticate and start displaying the data from WS500 on the Cerbo GX. If that is the case how we can get access to these messages so we can do the development (not Victron). I hope you understand my persistence as we have customers pushing for that.

I’m hoping we can open a communication channel and get this resolved for the sake of the many customers waiting for solution…

2 |3000

Related Resources