question

jjv avatar image
jjv asked

Wireless Dongle Setup

I purchased two USB Nano wireless adapters for my Cerbo GX, one from Victron (Nano USB wireless dongle) and one from a 3rd party vendor. I intend to test both for the best service. Before installing, I want to shut down the internal Cerbo wireless adapter, I do not want the Cerbo adapter to attempt to obtain an IP address and access the local network. I instead only want the USB wireless adapter to provide internet connectivity. With any device that has a wireless adapter, it is always routine to have the ability to disable the wireless adapter, I can't however find the place to do this. With the issues associated with poor antenna placement in my Cerbo and the impact of having a GX Touch 50 connected, I can't imagine Victron has not made sure this option is available. Can anyone please provide this information, where do I disable the internal wireless adapter?

cerbo gx
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @JJV,

There isn't a way to disable the built in wifi network interface through the normal GUI.

I would just try without messing with any of that first, it should just use the strongest signal.

If absolutely necessary it would need to be done via the terminal and an SSH connection, using something like the 'ip' command tools.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jjv avatar image
jjv answered ·

Thank you Guy for your response. Based on the above information, I guess the question that arises if I don't attempt to mess with the OS (my expertise is with Windows file systems, DHCP, DNS... rather than Linux) is how do I assign all wireless communications to the USB dongle? Even more concerning, how do I even see the USB dongle device via the GUI interface so that I know it is recognized by the OS? Note, the signal strength is likely a poor indicator of the adapter being used since the Cerbo is not far from the wireless access point providing internet connectivity. Thanks again for your feedback.

2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@JJV

You can forget the network.

Then plug in the dongle for testing that will eliminate the auto connect of the previously saved and used internal WiFi.

2 |3000

jjv avatar image
jjv answered ·

Thank you Alexandra. As much as I want to say I did what you recommended, I am dumbfounded that I need to come back for more assistance. You would think this would be "Design 101" for Victron in setting up the network functions for any networked device, I simply cannot find any option to "forget the network". Can you please tell me where this option is located in the menu? Please be specific so that I can complete this "what should be" a very simple task. Thank you again.

2 comments
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
@JJV

On the GX - you have to be connected to the network you want to forget.

Settings - wifi - WiFi networks - (network) - forget network.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ Alexandra ♦ commented ·

0 Likes 0 ·