question

graf-jahmai avatar image
graf-jahmai asked

Whats the Blue Stuff in my BlueSolar MPPT

Does anyone know what the blue colored glue like stuff between the cover and circuitry inside my BlueSolar 100-50 MPPT actually is???

I'm searching for any/ all the info i can get on what exactly that stuff is and its composition and properties. Is it epoxy? glue? resin? potting stuff? rubber? a particular brand product? ect.

Any help i could get here would be very much appreciated.

MPPT ControllersHelp
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Why?
0 Likes 0 ·
graf-jahmai avatar image graf-jahmai kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

So i can know what it is and its composition and properties. Maybe my question needs more details but basically im searching for any factual information about the blue stuff that people here may know.

Seemed a straight forward question, but im new here and maybe its much more complicated than i thought.

0 Likes 0 ·
graf-jahmai avatar image graf-jahmai kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

Intellectual curiosity; If you need a direct answer. I'm looking for direct answers myself...

0 Likes 0 ·
6 Answers
matrixrat avatar image
matrixrat answered ·

@cardy01

Somebody who has sensitivities and likely harmed by fallout from electronic device failing and emitting burnt epoxy or urethane fumes into their personal environment needs to ask these questions and hopefully receive sensible answers.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

graf-jahmai avatar image graf-jahmai commented ·

--THANK YOU.--

Potting compound is a toxic Voc by every measure, wanting to know just how toxic and the specifics of its toxicity shouldn't be met with all the sketchy comments i get here.

Based on the replies here and lack thereof from Victron i'll assume it's very nasty carcinogenic stuff that burns and becomes a gas during common device failures and should not be used indoors, near children, pets, in small spaces such as campers, or by those with sensitivities; Such as myself.

I'll play it safe and just use something else.

0 Likes 0 ·
pau1phi11ips avatar image
pau1phi11ips answered ·

It's potting compound. Commonly used so you can't see what components are used to produce the product but also has the benefit of increased environmental/vibration protection and it spreads out heat from small components.

1 comment
2 |3000

Thank you Paul.

Do you know what type it might be? Epoxy, Urethane, Silicone? Or maybe some details like if its hard or soft, rubbery, foamy ect. that might help me narrow it down.

Ultimately i'd like to get to a Technical Data Sheet for this substance or a Material Safety Data Sheet that has its off-gassing info and like if it turns into death gas if burned or not. I've got sensitivities.

So far, with your tips, my best guess is its a Loctite/ Stycast encapsulate maybe one of these: https://www.hitek-ltd.co.uk/thermally-conductive 23mv2.jpg

Picture seems to match but i cant tell and don't want to hack up my device to find out.

And thanks for explaining its used to conceal components, that's probably why the deafening silence from Victron and sketchy reply here from kevgemany. I didnt know.

Appreciate the help.

0 Likes 0 ·
23mv2.jpg (86.8 KiB)
cardy01 avatar image
cardy01 answered ·

As already explained by others .... its a potting compound ... probably 2 part epoxy something like Araldite. Aside from the slightly "conspiracy theory" view that it's to prevent anyone finding out what components are encaplulated .... it is more likely used to stabilise the environmental performance and limit undesirable humidity effects with a side bonus of preventing people poking around and damaging components and then claiming repair under warranty.

Aside from your intellectual curiosity you have no need to know .... once cured it is inert and harmless unless combustion occurs at which point it's bottom of the list of things to worry about.

Bottom line ... no one who actually knows exactly what it is will tell you .....

1 comment
2 |3000

-Yeah we got to potting compound already.

-Its not Araldite which is a rigid adhesive and isn't blue.
-Not interested in your "conspiracy theory".
-You are not in the position to tell me what i need to know.
-Epoxy is not inert or harmless once cured. You don't even know its epoxy.
-You don't know or dictate my concerns if this product fails.
-Someone does know what it is, they'll tell me.

Please delete your comment. Its facutally inaccurate and somewhat dangerous (the blue stuff isnt harmless). Some of us have children, small pets, and health concerns. We seek out such information and your post is cluttering and devaluing this thread. You've added no value, please delete.

0 Likes 0 ·
1234enough avatar image
1234enough answered ·

I heard it is to help flux compatibility in a blue victron kind of way, but why is the PCB board green and not blue ??

2 |3000

regman54 avatar image
regman54 answered ·

Just a suggestion but considering your various concerns it would be wiser to find out what's inside the product BEFORE you purchase it, not afterward.

1 comment
2 |3000

Thanks yeah i should go without electricity while i find out what the substance is. That makes sense.

A suggestion for yourself, lay off giving personal advice in a technical forum when you know nothing about my situation or my relationship to my products, let alone anything related to the actual topic.

So please delete your comment. This one will go with it. Neither are on topic or contain any useful information.

0 Likes 0 ·
regman54 avatar image
regman54 answered ·

It's called sage advice.

2 |3000

Related Resources

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic