question

bruce-thomas avatar image
bruce-thomas asked

EV Charging Station NS for use in the US 120/240v single phase

Is there any way to use US 120/240v single phase power with the EVCharging Station NS?

We have single phase 120/240v AC power, no inverters, no solar etc. Standard US suburban power.

The instructions in the Charging Station NS call for single single phase 230v connection to use L1 Neutral and Ground. Is there a setting change that can allow a Charging Station NS to use L1 and L2 Neutral and Ground to get 240v 60hz power to the vehicle to fast charge?

I know I may be pushing on a rope here but I already have the Charging Station NS and want to try to use it before returning it.

ev charging station
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·

US 120/240 is split-phase, just for clarity, not single-phase. Your question then, would be to use L1+L2+G into the single-phase 230V input.

1 Like 1 ·
snoobler avatar image snoobler Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·
EXCEPT US split phase has a center tapped neutral and ground. Placing the ground on L1 (L) or L2 (N) routinely causes problems with equipment not designed to work with split phase due to the N-G bond in the system.
1 Like 1 ·
Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ snoobler commented ·
Yes I was definitely not advocating the use of the equipment in this case, particularly since I believe -for this unit- that the issue will be more to do with the incorrect frequency rather than the incorrect voltage. I was just clarifying that US 120/240 is split-phase rather than single-phase as OP suggested.
1 Like 1 ·
2 Answers
Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

Most 240V equipment is designed such that it will cope with N - G voltage, and even swap of L - N connections. In this case, there is no problem connecting the equipment l1 l2 and ground.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

snoobler avatar image snoobler commented ·

@Mike Dorsett

I have multiple examples of failed single phase 230VAC/50-60Hz equipment due to connection to split phase power:

N to L1

L to L2

G to G (120V potential to N)

Until you can provide proof that the hardware in question can operate without issue whether there is 0V or 120V between N and G, i don't think you should say there is no problem.

1 Like 1 ·
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

Short answer: No.

Long answer: possibly, but it hasn't been tested and as such isn't currently supported, so you're on your own if it doesn't work or potentially causes damage to itself and/or surrounding components.

I might suggest using an isolation transformer to just get yourself a good source of 230v+ single-phase from your 120v single-phase, but unfortunately that doesn't resolve the frequency issue, which is that the US uses 60Hz while the EV Charging Station specifies 50Hz input (pretty standard for 230v electrical systems) - and as yet, there's no wiggle room in the frequency acceptance that's been published.

I'm not sure what authorized US distributor would have been so irresponsible as to sell you this unit without having a very serious discussion with you about these things first, but personally I believe your best option is to return it before you try to install it, so as to get most of your investment back.

At some point in the future, after VE completes testing and very likely pushes out FW updates (if not a HW revision as well) and other things needed to permit reliable use in the L1+L2+G @ 60Hz input configuration (much like the 230V Multi and Quattro units can accept, with proper programming) then it may make more sense to look at re-purchasing the unit - especially since, if a HW revision is necessary to make it work safely, you'd need the new version in any case.

Just my two cents based on my understanding of the VE ecosystem and the testing protocols that are required.

2 comments
2 |3000

bruce-thomas avatar image bruce-thomas commented ·
Thanks Justin for the reply. We installed two Quattro 48/5000s in our boat with 2 48v 270ah batteries (8 GC3s) to complement a twin 50 shore connection and a 13kw generator. The system works very well. The Victron equipment is so programmable that I assumed the Charging Station NS would be compatible via settings adjustments etc.

An inverter/charger is a very different animal compared to an EVSE. I just emailed the vendor to start the refund process and will follow VE if they produce a US compatible version.

1 Like 1 ·
Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ bruce-thomas commented ·
If you were absolutely set on doing it, and had the coin, I'd say the way to go about it is to get yourself a battery bank, a 230V MultiPlus or Quattro, set the MP/Quattro to accept 240v 60Hz input, hook it up to your 120/240 split phase system using the (supported) L1+L2+G input method, set it to output 230V 50Hz as it's designed, and connect the Charging Station NS to that - that way you're giving the charger exactly what it specs as needing.

Expensive, and also very possibly strongly disapproved of by your home insurance company and/or your local electrical regulatory agencies, but technically possible. Otherwise, yes I'd say waiting for a more out-of-the-box solution from VE is definitely the overall better choice.

0 Likes 0 ·