question

frederic avatar image
frederic asked

ESS BUG in software with Quattro-II in ESS with external PV

Following case:

- 3 phase Quattro-II 5kVA, generator on input 1 and grid on input 2.

- Client has a PV installation which could not be installed on the output of the Quattro's.

- The PV power is being measured with an EM24 with RS485 (connected the proper way, as told in the manual)

- On Venus OS, the energy meter is told to be installed on input 2.

- The installed assistant is ESS with grid setpoint 0W.

All the information is available, but the installation is not working.

Actual faults:

- PV inverter is shown on output, even if told it's on the input.

- ESS NOT WORKING. And this is more critical, because now the installation is just consuming energy.

It shows the energy is flowing back but instead of taking the energy and charging the battery, it is just showing.

1695990166065.png

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerESSem24
1695990166065.png (64.2 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@Frederic

What PV inverter is it?

If the PV power is being measured by the input 24 then the EM 24 position needs to be corrected.

And in system set up what is set as the grid meter?

0 Likes 0 ·
4 Answers
frederic avatar image
frederic answered ·

Three old SMA's, which due to output power can not be connected to the output of the quattro's.

It's not clear to me what you mean with 'by the end 24'?

The PV inverter energy is being measured as told in manual part 2.1.2

1696088723199.png

For the moment there is no grid meter installed. And you can clearly see it goes wrong at the grid calcalution.

Venus OS does calculate that -1040W is flowing to the grid, which is correct.

In the same way it could calculate that per phase.

L1 would then be: - 479W (energy produced) +153W (energy taken by quattro + loads) = - 326W

L2 would then be: - 517W (energy produced) +212W (energy taken by quattro + loads) = - 305W

L3 would then be: - 493W (energy produced) +86W (energy taken by quattro + loads) = - 407W

But instead of doing the calculation, it takes over the input powers of the quattro, which is AC loads + quattro's own energy usage.

And in this case GRID POWER is not the same as QUATTRO INPUT POWER, which the systems knows (because the PV inverter is being told in Venus OS to be installed on the input)

Solution: if being told to Venus OS that an energy meter is installed as PV inverter, and is installed on the input of the quattro's (or MultiPlus, I think the same error will occur), it should not take over the Quattro's input current but calculate per phase (as done just here above)

I know I could get it working by replacing the EM24's position and assign it as grid meter, but not only does my client loses the PV gain function then, I will also need to recable the whole thing. It's a site with multiple buildings and the place where the installation is, is about 100m away of where the grid enters the building.

@mvader (Victron Energy) can you please check this?

1696088723199.png (50.0 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

I think the problem is that you need an external grid meter if you have connected AC PV power on the input.

If you use the internal measurement of the Quattros as grid meter you can't have loads or PV interters connected at the AC IN.

So you will need a second EM24* and use it as grid meter.

*or a cheaper ET340; use the ET340 as PV meter and the EM24 as grid meter

2 |3000

frederic avatar image
frederic answered ·

Hey @Matthias Lange - DE

Thanks for your answer.

I understand the principle, but you have to understand that is an extra cost (material + work), when all the info is there already. (Exact calculation is shown above).

A solution could be that under settings - ess - grid metering an extra option could be added.

Next to “external meter” or “inverter/charger” there could be an option:

“Inverter/charger with PV meter on input”

Because all the info is there, I’m still conviced the installation should work.

Thanks

Frederic

2 |3000

frederic avatar image
frederic answered ·

@Matthias Lange - DE @Alexandra

What my client noticed is that the info on the GX Touch is correct by showing negative phase numbers. On VRM it shows the numbers of quattro in. So if it would take the numbers, as seen on the display, the installation would work also.

eab38445-0930-4953-a6d9-3bf075bec7ca.jpeg

img-5875.jpeg

2 |3000