question

guzz-es avatar image
guzz-es asked

BMV712 working as battery protector

As I unterstood, BMV712 has a relay that can be configured as a "low voltage relay" in order to disconnect all non necessary loads when the voltaje falls below 11v or so. Could this scenary work like the BatteryProtector does?, do i need a battery protector if I have a BMV712 with the relay low voltage configured?.

BMV Battery MonitorBattery Protect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

The BMV-712's "relay" is a programmable switch, it's not the load-handling sort of relay that you might be used to seeing in automotive applications. You need an external relay to control the loads, but you can use the BMV to send the signal to that external relay. A BatteryProtect or Smart BatteryProtect can be an excellent standalone device to turn off loads based on battery voltage, or can be used as a solid-state relay, triggered by the BMV to turn on and off based on voltage, SOC, or other selectable options, or you can use an appropriately-rated automotive relay that's triggered by the BMV.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.