question

dylan-coppo avatar image
dylan-coppo asked

Is it possible to use a POE display with GX devices?

Hi,

Im planning a new setup and the EasySolar looks to simplify my setup.

The only thing I'm hesitant about is not having the ability to use a touch 50 or 70 display,

I would like to know if anyone has ever tried to use a POE display such as this:

https://www.mwave.com.au/product/phillips-101-poe-capacitive-multi-touch-android-commercial-display-ac45726?gclid=Cj0KCQjwvL-oBhCxARIsAHkOiu1emEc5953KbGxeyQAKX55fBM_q_di2_VujYcW3dE-J_rIJ_ucdGrQaAnwJEALw_wcB

It seems like a really nice solution compared to running a pi or tablet or phone with charger.

Mount the display and run one ethernet cable.

POE injector installed at the GX device.

dashboard display
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
matthias-nagel avatar image
matthias-nagel answered ·

Why should it not?

But keep in mind that you probably need a a third network device (e.g. your usual router) which provides a DHCP server. I only had a quick look into the manual of the Smart Solar and I haven't found an configuration settings to statically assign an IP adress. (Neither do I own a Smart Solar, so I couldn't test it )

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

I'd suggest you do not do this if there's an Ethernet connection to the EasySolar. No way of knowing if it can handle the increased voltage.

1 comment
2 |3000

matthias-nagel avatar image matthias-nagel commented ·

The Easy Solar does not see the increased PoE voltage. So that is not an argument.

Of course, the OP has to install the PoE injector in the correct orientation, i.e. such that it feeds the display. If the OP accidentally installs the PoE injector in the wrong way, nothing will happen at all, as PoE voltages are set dynamically via a handshake protocol. If the Easy Solar was on the output side of the PoE injector and the EasySolar does not request PoE, the PoE injector won't deliver voltage.

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

You need a POE switch or injector. The gx’s do not support POE.

If you can power the display there is no reason it won’t work provided a supported browser is used.

You can assign a manual/static Ip to the GX and one to the device,

I don’t know if the gx has an auto mdx port, so if you want to direct connect, a crossover cable may be required.

1 comment
2 |3000

matthias-nagel avatar image matthias-nagel commented ·
You need a POE switch or injector. The gx’s do not support POE.

The OP already wrote that he is planning to use a PoE injector. ,

You can assign a manual/static Ip to the GX and one to the device,

Good to know. I couldn't find it in the manual, so that bit of information was missing from my answer.

I don’t know if the gx has an auto mdx port, so if you want to direct connect, a crossover cable may be required.

Does the GX provide Gigabit Ethernet (i.e. 1Gb/s)? Again the specs are missing that information. For modern hardware I asssume so. Gigabit Ethernet provides Auto MDX per definition. Cross-over cable were only necessary for 10/100 MBit/s, i.e. "normal" and Fast Ethernet.

1 Like 1 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic