question

lmichel avatar image
lmichel asked

Multiplus Compact to Internet and what to buy?

I have a brand new Multiplus Compact inverter/charger 12|2000|80.installed 24hrs ago.

I also have a BMV-712 w/Bluetooth that I've used with VictronConnect smoothly for years.

Now, I'd like to get access to both of these devices over the internet (not just WiFi LAN) so that I can check status (and maybe change some settings) from hundreds of miles away.

I *think* the next purchase I need is a CERBO GX or the CERBO-S GX - Correct?

Do I need the touch screen (if I don't want to cobble my own) or can I do what I want without it?

What adapters/cables do I need to go from the Multiplus Compact to the CERBO?

What adapters/cables do I need to go from the BMV-712 to the CERBO?

I have to say, all this

VE.Bus Smart dongle

VE.Direct to USB interface

Interface MK3-USB

stuff is *very* confusing..

If it matters much, this is an RV installation with both a flooded LA bank (not currently monitored) and a LifePo bank monitored by the BMV-712

The Multiplus Compact is taking its feed from the Lead Acid bank and is dedicated to powering only the fridge and a couple "backup" outlets.

Thank you!

multiplus ve.bus
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
lifeingalicia avatar image
lifeingalicia answered ·

Basically you just need a GX device connect to the net create a VRM portal ID and you can do all from remote.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/vrm_portal:remote-veconfigure

I have a GX build in - never touch the unit.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

lmichel avatar image lmichel commented ·
And how does the Multiplus Compact *physically* connect to the GX?? The inverter doesn't even have bluetooth.

Does the BMV-712 connect to the GX via Bluetooth and no cables are needed??

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ lmichel commented ·
Take a look into the Cerbo manual (also applies to all the other GX devices):

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Cerbo_GX/en/connecting-victron-products.html

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ lmichel commented ·

Use a VE direct cable for the BMV and a fully wired good quality LAN cable for the multiplus VE Bus. Don't mix the Bluetooth network with others.

But the Cerbo does not give an internet connection, you have to supply one. There a section on this in the manual. It supports both WiFi and Ethernet, both can be setup together for resilience.

You don't need a screen. Setup without a screen is in the manual.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic