question

Armel Peel avatar image
Armel Peel asked

Using a Quattro inverter with a DC genset

Ahoy!

I couldnt find the answer on the internet, but I am looking at a 58" Hattaras boat that comes with a 20 Northern Lights 20KW generator. I wanted to get a Quattro inverter for both shore power AND generator power, but how would I hook a DC generator up in this situation? The Quattro has dual AC inputs, but would the DC generator have to be connected a different way like directly to the batteries? Would the Orion-TR work for something like that or is that just for the alternator? I found something here labeled Quattro and DC genset

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/10-QUATTRO-and-DC-genset.pdf

But I am not sure this is exactly what I am looking for. Quite a few extra connections in there and dual inverters.

Thanks for any help guys.

dc system
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·
@Armel Peel

Are you sure it's a DC generator? 20kW is a lot of DC and would be a most unusual choice.

0 Likes 0 ·
Armel Peel avatar image Armel Peel JohnC ♦ commented ·
Hey John,

No its an AC generator, I was just curious how to hook up a DC generator. I was assuming it would go straight to the batteries like a dc to dc charger but wanted to see if anyone knew anything. But AC gensets are standard on boats all the models I saw were AC, cummins, onan, and northern lights.

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ Armel Peel commented ·

@Armel Peel

Not really sure what you're after here. DC has it's place for serving specific loads, to charge batteries, and even feed inverters. But often needs 'conditioning' to serve a specific purpose. Yes an Orion or even an mppt could be purposed to do eg, battery charging. Or supply loads of varying DC V needs.

The only need a Quattro has for DC is it's battery connection.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

If you wanted a DC generator, then the hook up would be as the pdf link mentioned above. Bigest problem with DC generators, is that if you want to charg lithium batteries then you need to regulate the current.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic