question

daba avatar image
daba asked

Heater control via Node-RED and EBUS

Hello all,

i am trying to implement a control of my heating system via Venus OS node red, in my case Venus is running in the MP II GX inverter.

The idea was to use node red on OS large to send and receive data from a ebus device which communicates with the Vaillant heating pump.

My problem is, current there is no node that supports this ebus gateways. So I need to install ebusd which is the ebus daemon https://github.com/bumaas/ebusdMQTT/blob/master/docs/de/InstallEbusdREADME.md#1-installation-des-richtigen-pakets on my Multiplus GX.

I idea how to do this.

Venus GX - VGXNode-RED
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
daba avatar image
daba answered ·

Hi matt, have got this running. The ebusd runs on a pi and all the other stuff is managed by node-red on victron: 1696524210117.png

1696524210117.png (44.8 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

matt1309 avatar image
matt1309 answered ·

Hi @daba

I'm not familiar with Ebus but looking at the link the instructions are explaining how to install ebus daemon on debian based system (likely works on raspbian or whatever raspberry pi os is called now by default given it's debian based).

Venus os is not debian based (embeded linux i believe) so installing via dpkg as instructed in that link i imagine will not work.

You should be able to install the package but i imagine you'll have to build it from source rather than via a dpkg .deb file. You can maybe look into trying to instlal dpkg on venu os but that's probably going to lead down a a rabbit hole.

(a easier way around it f you're not comfortable compiling from source, would be if you have run ebusd on another machine running debian based OS so you can follow that instructions on that page, then communicate with that from node red via mqtt or http. Not 100% sure but I assume that's a feature of ebusd?)

1 comment
2 |3000

daniel-feist avatar image daniel-feist commented ·

You also need hardware to interface with ebus. It's not TCP/IP, RS485 or CAN:. See https://adapter.ebusd.eu/v5/

0 Likes 0 ·
daba avatar image
daba answered ·

Hi matt, I also have been thinking about doing it like you proposed, using the PI to implement ebusd and communicating by IP/mqtt to Venus OS.

Than you have two systems running some code, sure it will work but since the GX device inside the Multiplus runs that reliable and has no problems the intention was to put all the stuff there :-)

Thanks again, I will see how difficult it is to build this code to get it running on Venus OS :-)

2 |3000

derrchecker avatar image
derrchecker answered ·

Hi @daba

hast du das ganze zum laufen bekommen? Meine Vaillant Wärmepumpe wird im Januar eingebaut und ich habe auch schon den eBUS Adapter v5 und mir eBUSd in einem LXC Installiert und als Device den Adapter der im WLAN hängt angegeben jedoch steht bei mir immer no signal (vllt weil noch kein eBUS angeschlossen ist?). Wie hast du das dann im Venus OS gelöst? Welche Steuerung ist damit dann möglich?

LG

2 |3000

daba avatar image
daba answered ·

Hallo derchecker,

also no signal bekommst du weil noch ebus angeschlossen ist.

Die werte die der ebusd (auf dein LXC läuft) vom adapter bekommt habe ich klasisch in mqtt published, und dann einfach im Venus OS suscribed. fertig.

Läuft stabil und unauffällig :-) In jeden kannst dich mit den "service ebusd status" vertraut machen bzw. checken :-)

2 comments
2 |3000

tobedefined avatar image tobedefined commented ·

Werden bei dir die gewünschten ebus Nachrichten automatisch zyklisch gesendet oder hast du dafür eine Polling Priority eingestellt (Modifikation der Message Definition) oder schickst du mit MQTT für jede gewünschte Nachricht ein "/get"? Hast du zufällig ein fertiges Node Red Flow parat ? thx

0 Likes 0 ·
juniorpv avatar image juniorpv tobedefined commented ·
Hallo Zusammen,

bin jetzt auch an dem Punkt:
- RPi4 läuft
- mqtt läuft

Es wäre toll, wenn es ein Beispiel gibt, wie ich mit mqtt an ein busd Wert komm.

Von mqtt Werte mit Node-Red auslesen, das funzt bei mir.

Mir fehlt jetzt der Übergang ebusd - mqtt.

Vielen Dank vorab.

0 Likes 0 ·