question

nervousfrog avatar image
nervousfrog asked

Node Red on Windows

Hi all and thanks in advance for any advice.

Until recently I have been using HA with my Multiplus II so I have been using TCP Modbus successfully with that.

I decided to give Node Red a go and have come a bit unstuck.

I installed Node Red on a Windows machine and installed the Victron addon and I can see all the nodes.

But I am getting the following error

Error connecting to dbus: Error: connect ENOENT /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket

I'm guessing it's because I need to set NODE_RED_DBUS_ADDRESS= but the instructions all have the Unix path I'm not sure how or where to set that value.

Any advice is appreciated.

Node-REDModbus TCP
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

afaik there is no dbus on windows.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

matt1309 avatar image
matt1309 answered ·

Hi @nervousfrog

I assume you're looking to read dbus on a GX device?

In which case i think you need to setup Dbus over TCP to remotely connect to the dbus running on the GX device.

I believe most folk use the node red running on the GX device (assuming they have venus os large installed)

I've never done this myself but I think it's explained here:

node-red-contrib-victron (node) - Node-RED (nodered.org)

2 |3000

nervousfrog avatar image
nervousfrog answered ·

Thanks for all the feedback.

I was trying to avoid using the built-in NodeRed as I was a bit wary of the warnings from Victron that it's 'unsupported'.

I already have Dbus over TCP setup and working with Home Assitant and that works fine.

I think the issue I am having is there is a file somewhere in the VM that needs to have the following value set with my GX IP.

1. Environment="NODE_RED_DBUS_ADDRESS=192.168.1.9:78"

As per this thread https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/35001/external-node-red-on-ubuntu-connecting-to-ccgx.html

But I can't find /lib/systemd/system/nodred.service. in my file structure.

I have managed to do what I need to do in the short term with a HA script so I will put Node-RED on the back burner for now I think.

Again thanks for the advice.

2 |3000