question

sac-rv avatar image
sac-rv asked

Cerbo GX loses Internet Connection

This has happened on a few occasions over the last year.

My Cerbo GX loses its Internet connectivity via WiFi. It connects to the Internet via a Hotspot. Other devices connected to the Hotspot maintain connectivity.

Once the Cerbo GX loses connection the only way to restore it is by removing the power to the device and reconnecting it.

I'm running v3.01 firmware.

cerbo gx
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
mike4nl avatar image
mike4nl answered ·

Hell @Sac RV

There is a YT Video to change the positions of the WiFi antennas, 2, inside the Cerbo GX. That make a huge difference.
And yes you can lose the connection sometimes via WiFi. I had the same because i changed some cabins around the CerboGX and i change it. And yes it works. But be aware when you change you Victron hardware inside the garantie you lose every service help from Victron. It is on your own risk ;-)
I hope it helps you too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6m9eurTkqA

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

Just configure in the GX settings -> VRM portal, the reboot GX on comms lost option. Set it to an interval that works for you.

Hotspots are very unreliable and the cerbo is fussy about reconnecting, an auto restart resolves this problem.

Many posts about the subject available via search on the forum.

Do not muck about with antennas or internals, this won't help your issue and will create others.

In the event of signal issues, a USB dongle is a better option.

1 comment
2 |3000

sac-rv avatar image sac-rv commented ·
I didn't realize there was a setting to reboot when comms is lost. I'll look at that configuration this weekend. Thanks!
0 Likes 0 ·
mike4nl avatar image
mike4nl answered ·

@nickdb
You wrote: his won't help your issue and will create others.

That's not 100% true, because it has helped out a lot of users including me and some neighbours because of the nearby RADAR System.
So Please don't say it is not working when you don't know the whole story.

And yes you are right to change the settings which can help but not in the cases i know.
Friends in the US and Alaska had same issues and changing the position of the WiFi antennas had helped every time to get more range and a more stable connection to the routers.

So at the end there are more ways to Rome then the normal one.

2 |3000

rotevery avatar image
rotevery answered ·

Depending on how good or bad the hotspot connection is, set it to reboot on loss of wifi for 2 hours or 1 hour. In Cerbo GX, change Settings>VRM Online Portal>Reboot When No Contract to on. Change Settings>VRM Online Portal>No Contract Reset Delay to 2 hours or 1 hour. This has worked for me. Cheers.

2 |3000