question

atwijukye avatar image
atwijukye asked

Can't connect Multi RS to Cerbo gx and ve.bus bms?

Dear Team

I need your help once again. I have been trying to connecting my ne system this weekend but I am stuck connecting the rs multi single tracker to cerbo gx and ve bus bms. I can't get any drawing on line to guide me. On vrm portal I am able to see only the smart shunt but not the rs inverter and the bms. Any drawing that can guide me

Multi RS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @atwijukye,

The Multi RS does not support the VE.Bus BMS. The Multi RS has a VE.Can interface instead of the VE.Bus interface.

If you're using the Victron Smart Lithium batteries with a Multi RS and have a GX device in the system, you will need to get the Lynx Smart BMS. It is connected via the VE.Can bus interface. Note when using this BMS set the Remote Mode to Remote on/off when commissioning the product in VictronConnect.

If there is no GX device, you can use the SmallBMS - This BMS is connected using the allow to charge, and allow to discharge contacts from the Victron smallBMS to the I/O connection port. Note when using this BMS configure for Remote Mode 2-wire BMS when commissioning the product in VictronConnect.

There is a bit more info about selecting a BMS in the Victron Smart Manual here - https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Lithium_Battery_Smart/en/system-design-and-bms-functionality.html#UUID-cd9cf1a9-a93e-ce19-b0c9-bb487498f958

Given you already have the smart shunt, it might be more affordable now to use the SmallBMS method - though I would normally suggest using the Lynx Smart BMS instead of the SmartShunt + SmallBMS in this configuration.

Here is an example system schematic showing the Lynx Smart BMS setup

cleanshot-2023-09-04-at-120113.jpg

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

atwijukye avatar image atwijukye commented ·
@Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) Thank you so much your help, i was able to borrow a lynx smart shunt and the system is working. However after connecting a lynx smart shunt, i was faced with DVCC which i was ignorant off. The DVCC is forced on and the CVL is automaticaly set at 54V meaning that my bateries can reach floating voltage of 56.8V. I have tried to change this value but i have failed. Can you assist
0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ atwijukye commented ·

Hi @atwijukye,

That doesn't sounds right that the CVL is forced on?

DVCC is forced on - that is correct

But the charged voltage limit should be able to be switched on or off.

You should be able to adjust the charging voltages on the charging devices (in your case the Multi RS).

Perhaps you could take a screenshot?

0 Likes 0 ·
semlohnhoj avatar image
semlohnhoj answered ·

Just checking. The multi RS is ve.can not ve.bus. so make sure the cerbo is connected from it's ve.can port to the multi RS.

I'm also assuming the BMS is ve.can? If it is then that needs to connect to the "ve.can BMS" port on the cerbo and not the same ve.can interface as the multi is connected on, if that makes sense, unless the BMS is ve.bus?

2 |3000