question

mmcguinness avatar image
mmcguinness asked

MPPT 150/70 Bricked by Firmware Update. How to fix?

Hi, I've got an MPPT 150/70. It required a firmware update. It did the Bluetooth and MPPT firmwares, and now I can't see any stats in the app when I click on the charger. Seems like it's only showing the bluetooth firmware and not recognizing the MPPT at all. It did a second Bluetooth firmware update, but no MPPT.

Battery and solar connections are solid. Cycled Solar off, battery off, wait 1 minute, battery on, solar on. Measuring correct voltages at all terminals. However it seems to be trickle charging the battery. Tried pairing another phone, but it shows the same exact same thing.

How do I get the MPPT functionality back?

app1.png

app2.png

MPPT SmartSolarfirmware update
app1.png (135.4 KiB)
app2.png (238.1 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) answered ·

Hi @mmcguinness

When you have a VE.Direct USB cable, you can try to update the MPPT part again via de VE.Direct port. But I think that the chance of success is not that large. My guess would be that the update triggered a hardware problem in the SmartSolar, causing the dongle to not see the MPPT part at least. So when you have a VE.Direct USB cable, you can try that, and otherwise I would advice you to contact the dealer to have the SmartSolar replaced.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.