question

tropicaltexan avatar image
tropicaltexan asked

24v quattro with existing ATS wiring

We have a 2016 Tiffin. Added 4 300ah lifepo4 batteries wired for 24v. 2400watts of solar. Smart shunt, CERBO gx

Converting Magnum 2000 watt inverter to Victron 24v Quattro 5000. I am confused about the wiring to service panel because we have an existing ATS. The wiring goes directly to the 50amp breakers in the service panel. I know I need to upgrade wiring from/to inverter to 6ga. I will not be running 2 AC's at a time. But I do have a residential fridge. Want to be able to utilize the power assist for sure.

Any advice is much appreciated!

Pam

installation
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
derrick thomas avatar image
derrick thomas answered ·

If you haven't bought the inverter yet you might consider either the MP2 2x120 or the new quatro 2x120, they are designed to be installed in 50 amp split phase North American rv's and boats. Installing a single 120 inverter in a split phase vehicle can get a little more complicated but certainly has been done for many years.

If you just want to upgrade the existing inverter without reconfiguring your ac system, then use a mp2 120 and Kevin windrems exttransferswitch mod, just upgrade the wiring to/from the inverter as you mentioned. If you already have the quatro you can still use the exttransferswitch mod without changing any wiring to the existing ATS.

Lots of options. Just depends how deep you want to go.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

tropicaltexan avatar image tropicaltexan commented ·
Thank you, yes, we already have the quattro. We also have a 7000w gen. Trying to not rewire as much as possible.
0 Likes 0 ·
derrick thomas avatar image derrick thomas tropicaltexan commented ·

In that case, the easiest is going to be to upsize the wiring size to/from the inverter. No other changes necessary to the existing AC wiring. Probably will also need to change the DC cabling to the inverter as well I am sure.

As for the ATS, no wiring changes required there but you will require a few extra components be installed. Connect the generator run signal to the digital input 1 on the cerbo using a relay. Install a relay at the ATS which will be activated by the generator input (ac rated relay connected to the generator input of the ATS), common and NO of this relay connects to digital input 2 of the cerbo. Install exttransferswitch on the cerbo. With that mod the quatro will know when the input is shore power or when it is generator, and can change current limit accordingly as well as generator run timer and service timer.

0 Likes 0 ·
tropicaltexan answered ·

Now I'm really confused...that would be 3 ATS's since the quattro has one built in.

1 comment
2 |3000

derrick thomas avatar image derrick thomas commented ·

With your existing AC wiring taken into consideration, the simplest solution is to simply not use the generator input of the quatro, and instead continue to use the ATS that is already installed in the RV. The additional relays that I mentioned are not ATS's they are a small low current relay required to get the necessary signals to the required locations in order for the entire system to operate seamlessly. A little wiring and configuration up front will allow ease of operation once the install is complete. Because you have a single 120 inverter going into a split phase vehicle, some additional work arounds are required if you intend to make the gx device fully and automatically control everything.

If you have no desire to have the gx device control automatic generator functionality, then you can simply swap the existing inverter for the new one with a wiring upsize and be done. None of the additional wiring or relays required.

Edit: It occurred to me after writing this that you may be confused by the mention of exttransferswitch. Exttransferswitch is not a mechanical device, it is a software addon to the gx device which adds additional functionality when using an ATS that is separate from the inverter, as in your case.

0 Likes 0 ·
tropicaltexan answered ·

Thank you. That does make more sense.

• On a side note, we left all of our 12v system on one house battery that will be charged through a 24v/12v converter.
3 comments
2 |3000

derrick thomas avatar image derrick thomas commented ·
I have something similar. 24 volt inverter and house bank, 24 volt chassis, 12 volt generator battery and lights, pump, etc., with a 24/12-70 converter.
0 Likes 0 ·
tropicaltexan avatar image tropicaltexan derrick thomas commented ·
Derrick, thank you for all your help. And I don't want to wear you out, but I think we also need to change our 30amp breakers for 50 amp on our service panel. These are the incoming and out going inverter.

We will be able to use the power assist function I assume.

Pam

0 Likes 0 ·
derrick thomas avatar image derrick thomas tropicaltexan commented ·
The breakers need to be appropriately sized for the size of wire installed, so if you are going to change the breakers be sure and upsize the wiring.
0 Likes 0 ·
tropicaltexan answered ·

Thank you so much for your input. We thought that was the way to go, but having a second opinion sure helps!

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic