question

Supra-Halbleiter avatar image
Supra-Halbleiter asked

New Cerbo GX; VE Connect found the PIN w/o entering it. How does this work?

I just powered up my new Cerbo GX the first time and at first the Victron Connect App said it would try to connect with 000000, but that didn't work. So I went to look at the forum, manuals and the WIFI service. There i discovered the correct PIN to use, but found no way to enter it in the app - I went searching again and when I came back the app had the correct PIN code set. So now I wonder how that worked and suspect a security problem.

Is this behaviour to be expected? Then what is the PIN good for?

PS: In the APP is saw two Cerbos. Maybe it was one from the WIFI connection and one from bluetooth? I would expect it to display one only.

VictronConnectBluetooth
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) answered ·

Hi @Supra-Halbleiter

We have identified a regression in VictronConnect v5.93 which causes this behavior when connecting to a GX device or GlobalLink over bluetooth. We will release a new version as soon as possible that fixes this.

With kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Supra-Halbleiter avatar image Supra-Halbleiter commented ·

Hi @Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff)

Thank you, I appreciate your response. It is not clear to me which of the observed "issues" you mean. In another thread about the problem that no pin entry dialog shows up, you posted the same answer, but I don't mind such problems much - eventually they will be fixed and i'm fine with it.

What is most troubling to me is that there seems to be a mechanism to expose the PIN to the app without user interaction. May I ask you to be a little bit more specific about this?

Best regards

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ Supra-Halbleiter commented ·

Hi @Supra-Halbleiter,

The two Cerbo's you saw listed in VictronConnect was indeed the two different interfaces, one for wifi connection, the other for bluetooth.

They each offer a different feature set. The bluetooth one is basically limited to setting wifi credentials.

This is normal and by design, and there is no mechanism to expose the bluetooth PIN between two.

cleanshot-2023-08-29-at-213212.jpg

1 Like 1 ·