question

chrichri avatar image
chrichri asked

Orion (not smart) 48/12 -20A parallel with charger on 12V AGM Battery

Hi,

I have a complete 48V System with Pylontech bank, Multiplus II 48/5000, Solar MPPT on 48V side.

On the other side I have a 12V AGM Battery system with a standard charger from grid. On the 12V side the fridges are connected!

In order to avoid grid consumption on the 12 V system I would like to simply install the Orion 48/12 20A DC/DC converter. This would allow me to use the solar power from the 48V side to feed into the 12V side. Can I set the DC/DC output of the orion 48/12 -20A to 13,85V (slightly above the float Voltage of the charger) to avoid taking grid power on the 12V side?

Thanks and best regards.

Multiplus-IIorion dc-dc
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @chrichri

Why not? You'll need to adjust it with a tiny screwdriver (& perhaps multimeter) to set it up, but that's no big deal.

It has Remote terminal too, and I switch mine in/out as well using Assistants in the Multi.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

chrichri avatar image
chrichri answered ·

Thanks, i will install it this week. I will use the "Load output" of the MPPT to remote switch the Orion DC/DC. That allows me to configure a "emergency off" in case that the 48V Batteries drop too low. (Voltage algorithm)

I will see if I can set the voltage just correct to be able to use the Solar energy on 48V most efficiently on 12V side too.

Its a pitty that we still can not control the relays of the Multi via the Cerbo GX Plattform or via the VRM. Lets hope that this feature will be added in the near future. Specially the relais for the second AC output and the spare relais on the main PCB would be great to be usable bejond the Assistants...

1 comment
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·
@chrichri

Keep an open mind as to how you switch it. Like I use Vbat because that indicates I have solar available, but I make that wait for 95% SOC as well, my 'comfort level' for the 48V bank. Then when the genset runs, ACIN is detected and overrides both those.

Remote on/off I'd likely never use, but a toggle switch for forced ON and an isolator on the 48V side for OFF, I do use sometimes.

So 5 switches for my little Orion. But I love it.

"The Wish List" is sometimes quoted by CEO Matthijs, and it's always being worked on..

0 Likes 0 ·