question

wilhelm-moser avatar image
wilhelm-moser asked

2x BlueSolar DUO, 2 Banks

The Problem:
2x2 Phaesun Solarpanels with 2x215W Pm each bank (Starboard/Port)

2 Battery banks

---------

electrician said I should skip my BlueSolar MPPT 150/35 (I have it in stock) and use

2x BlueSolar DUO 12/20 to avoid problems due to different voltage inputs from the panels.

---------

Previously I had 4 Batteries and he connected one DUO output to each battery...

---------

The new setup has only two banks.

QUESTION:

Can I connect the two DUO' directly to the batteries. This will connect DUO1/1 with DUO2/1 and DUO1/2 with DUO2/2

To simplify it: can I connect the DUO' together to shorten the cables?
============

My assumption is that the chargers will confuse themselfes..

What shall I do?

1) remove one DUO? Measured chargin amperage goes up to 12+18 Amps sometimes

2) OR use the MPPT instead

3) OR use the DUOS according to the scheme below?
BlueSolarDUO.jpg

Thank you for assistance.

willi

BlueSolar PWM
bluesolarduo.jpg (38.7 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Wilhelm MOSER

Are this two 'house banks' or a house bank and starter battery?
what is connected to the batteries?

I'd be tempted to connect the batteries with a big wire and isolation switch, and use one mppt per side.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Steven Hatzakis avatar image
Steven Hatzakis answered ·

What if there was just one DUO MPPT but two batteries (1. engine & 2. service) that were connected to each other in parallel via a "both" (1+2) switch, essentially becoming one larger battery whenever "both" is selected (otherwise, in 0 off, or 1 for the engine, 2 for service battery), would it be better to just treat the whole system as one battery and use another Victron MPPT instead? Or would it be safe even when in the both position for the MPPT to be delivering charge to the same batteries from the two different outputs? (bat 1 and bat 2) Thanks,

P.S. I realize I am not answering the original question, just was asking a similar one and thought to post in this thread.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic