question

jez avatar image
jez asked

Multiplus vs Easy Solar

I am trying to work out why I would use a Mutliplus 48/5000/70 and a separate MPPT 100/50 Solar Regulator versus using the EasySolar 48/5000/70-100MPPT150/100 all in one .

The only extra feature I can see is the Power Control feature on the Multiplus - which it seems can be done anyway via the Colour Control Panel on the Easy Solar. Also the easy solar has AC distribution and Colour Control Panel etc

When i compare the cost it seems the Multiplus and Regulator and Colour Control Panel will cost quite a bit more more than the same Easy Solar?

Feel Like I am missing something? Anyone have any ideas on any more advantages of the Multiplus setup

EasySolar All-in-One
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @JEZ

You are more flexible with separate components, that can be an advantage.

The Easysolar has a great price, but where you really win with it is in installation hours / cost. As it is super easy to install and wire.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jez avatar image jez commented ·

Thankyou Daniel - appreciate the response - would you mind expanding a little on what you mean by more flexible?

0 Likes 0 ·
john-durden avatar image john-durden jez commented ·

My installer mentioned that they see a potential problem with the Easysolar vs Multiplus and that is that it is all integrated in one piece, and if at any time one of the three fails, the problem is that everything stops, which does not happen if you differentiate the three separate elements. It is also that if they must later increase the power, it is always better to be able to expand with different inverters, since the panels would be arranged in distinct orientations.

Hope this helps as I myself could not argue against this.

0 Likes 0 ·
lklmenterprises avatar image lklmenterprises john-durden commented ·

I wouldn't completely agree with the Installer's view on that - and no different to if they were seperate, because by design they are still Seperate components, they are just Housed within a Single box and prewired in all the most appropriate configuration. It is not as though it is All one PCB and cannot be taken apart.

The MPPT can be removed from it's mounting area below, and the Breaker board can also be removed if need be - leaving the only thing left being the MultiPlus.

So if the MPPT fails - it will not cause the Interver to stop. If the Inverter fails - the MPPT will still charge batteries, if the Breaker panels fail - that is the most basic part and are very simple Replaceable parts - Breakers and RCDs.

Everyone will have their own reasons for choosing different units.

I have recently provisioned an EasySolar in a VAN where the Multiplus and MPPT would have come out at the same cost, but the EasySolar has the DC and AC breakers, along with 4 Pre-configured AC circuits, making one Very neat package and simplying installation, and a few dollars cheaper at the same time. it is only a 12/1600 unit - we wanted larger, but the dimensions for the next model were 100mm too big. For which the Separate components came out Far too much.

Flexibility when dealing with Separate components mainly comes down to Mounting options - but can include using components that otherwise might not be offered within the EasySolar off the shelf configurations.

0 Likes 0 ·
Murray van Graan avatar image
Murray van Graan answered ·

The EasySolar has a Multiplus built in, and it’s exactly the same as a normal Multiplus 5 with the same features. As for flexibility, with the individual components you have more freedom with regards to mounting options, and you could choose a different size MPPT if you wanted. Personally I think the EasySolar package is great value

2 comments
2 |3000

jez avatar image jez commented ·

Thanks for this answer - it tells me that there is not really any particular advantage other than mounting and maybe some Power Control Features - For our next project I am going to go for the Easy Solar and see how it performs in relation to the other setup. I can see the other setup is a little more flexible ie you could have colour control mounted separate to the unit somewhere or different MPPT or even multiple MPPT (but I cant see why I couldnt have a separate MPPT if I needed it direct to batteries) - thanks again for answer

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ jez commented ·

The functionality should be identical, and the Easy's prewiring and ac outlets are great time/cost savers. But be warned, they are big and quite heavy. Bring burly helpers.. :)

And of course you can add to them.

0 Likes 0 ·
ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ·

May be worth noting that max 16A any AC out with Easysolar where Multi can do 32 on AUX out. Worth nothing that the MPPT is exchangeable on Easy as long as it it the same dimension e.g. 250/60 if memory serves me.

1 comment
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·

The main output breaker on my Easy 5000 is actually a 63A RCD. Feeding 3x 16A outlets for typical household use. Standard din stuff, and easily changed out for special needs. Just sayin..

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniel Tamm avatar image
Daniel Tamm answered ·

So the unanswered question here is, can the EasySolar be configured in 3-phase using two additional Multipluses of the same capacity of the EasySolar? I would assume yes, but it would be great to have it confirmed by someone who has tested.

2 comments
2 |3000

marekp avatar image marekp commented ·

@Daniel Tamm

Yes, it can be done.

I have it done this way but I would not do it again.

It is much better to have 3 identical MP-II units + MPPT of your choice + Cerbo that have much more inputs and outputs than GX included in ES.

Also ES with MPPT inside it gets warmer than MP-II.

ES is perfect if you need single phase system because everything is prewired and it is easy and quick to install.

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniel Tamm avatar image Daniel Tamm marekp commented ·
Thanks for a quick reply. I hear you. The component based approach is one of Victron's strengths, so I'll follow your advice. I'm a bit restrained on space and it would look better if I didn't need the space for the separate MPPT and GX, but in the long run it's probably better to have them separate.

Thanks again :-)

0 Likes 0 ·