question

oles avatar image
oles asked

How connect two different MultiPlus to one CerboGX

How to connect two different Victron MultiPlus (12V & 48V) to one CerboGX or MK3-USB via VE.Bus ?
CerboGX got two VE.Bus ports, but when I connect VE.Bus port of 12V Multiplus to VE.Bus port at CerboGX and the same with 48V Multiplus to second VE.Bus at CerboGX both invertors got alarm and swithed off.
When I connected (but at running stage at both invertors) VE.Bus ports connect in series to one VE.Bus port in CerboGX the same situation - both invertor shows red alartm and swith off.

multiplus ve.bus
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

The Cerbo only has one VE.Bus but with two parallel ports (same for the VE.Can and BMS-Can ports).

The 2nd VE.Bus port can be used to connect a MK3 for programming.

To connect a 2nd VE.Bus system you need to use a MK3 connected to the USB port.
But you don't have the full functionality with that 2nd system.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

derrick thomas avatar image derrick thomas commented ·
I was under the impression that when doing any programming or configuring of the inverter(s) with the mk3 that the cerbo cannot be connected and the inverter(s) are the only thing that can be connected to the mk3. You are implying that programming CAN be done simply by plugging the MK3 into the second Vebus port on the cerbo? Am I to assume then that making settings changes with veconnect while connected to the cerbo is ok, but firmware updates and system configuration of 3phase or paralleled units is when the cerbo needs to be removed from the bus? If I am misunderstanding something can you please clarify?
0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ derrick thomas commented ·
You definitely can do that. I did it many times.*

The GX device shows the MultiPlus as "blocked" as long as it "sees" that there is VE.config communication.
So you always have to disconnect the MK3 at last from the PC.

There is also the MultiPlus-II GX or the EasySolar-II GX, they have a build-in GX device and you can't disconnect that easily.

*you maybe get an error if you use auto detect for the COM port in VE.config but if you select the correct COM port manually it works perfect.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@derrick thomas

The cerbo can only control one inverter (or system of inverters) from the VE bus.

You want to connect a second VE bus inverter that is totally different to the first one to the cerbo.

The suggestion from @Matthias Lange - DE is the correct one. To connect the second inverter for monitoring purposes only to the cerbo you have to use the MK3 and connect it to the cerbo through a usb port - there is no control like ESS over the second one.

You cannot daisy chain them at all through the VE bus for shared or other information.

For programming etc remove both devices from the cerbo and use the MK3.

1 comment
2 |3000

derrick thomas avatar image derrick thomas commented ·
Fully understand those limitations. My comment was directed towards Matthias's comment about daisy chaining the MK3 on the cerbo's ve.bus to use for programming a single inverter. A little off topic I realize.
0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

Excluding setups like 3-phase, parallel, etc., you can not connect more inverters to a single Cerbo GX VE.Bus, even with identical Multipluses.

You can connect the second Multiplus to Cerbo GX using a MK3-USB interface (don't use the USB port next to the HDMI port), for some functionality.

Check the manual for details.

4 comments
2 |3000

oles avatar image oles commented ·

But CerboGX (as a host) has two VE.Bus ports. Why, If I can not use them independent of each other?
Do I understand correctly that only one chain of identical MultiPlus can be connected in serial to the CerboGX to one port VE.Bus only, and the second VE.BUS port is only for beauty (unusable at all)?

0 Likes 0 ·
luphi avatar image luphi oles commented ·

It's for daisy chaining. You may have the Cerbo in the middle of the chain.

1 Like 1 ·
oles avatar image oles luphi commented ·

Any way, only one chain of identical Multiplus can be "served" by one CerboGX via VE.Bus ports :(

0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image seb71 commented ·
Not sure why additional answers were needed here.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic