question

phe avatar image
phe asked

Boat: External generator on two Multiplus’ as backup/redundancy

img-2269.jpegImage CaptionHello everybody,

We are on a sailing catamaran with two multiplus’ 12/3000/120, 1100 ah agm batteries, 2400 watt of solar on 6 panels.

On normal days this is more than enough to keep the boat powered up.

For emergencies and for redundancy, I want to have a back up power source : either a conventional, 3000 W generator running on fuel or a lithium power station with 2000 W.

It would seem logic to simply plug them into the boat with a regular 32A connector (I have an adapter).

Now when I plug these external power sources into the boat, they immediately draw whatever they need to run the boat AND charge the batteries … 4000 Watt and more …

This is too much for the external sources - they shut down.

Question: how can I limit the wattage of what they draw from the external sources?

Kind regards

Peter

694766bd-c025-4c17-8e6f-730f7bd4857f.jpeg

5ff68b49-1688-4955-910c-09e322f13a17.jpeg
img-2234.jpeg

Multiplus-IImultiplus in parallel
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @PHE

Use the AC Input Current Limit in the Multis. This is what it looks like in VEConfigure..1692881917876.pngTick the Overruled box as there's other easier ways to change it, such as The Marine MFD app or VRM. And depending on what you're doing, you may find a real need to change it regularly.

The Dynamic Current Limiter winds up over a few seconds and gives the genset time for a throttle response, so tick that while you're there.

There's a minimum you can set while retaining Power Assist, but you should fit within it. How the 2x Multi's work I'm not sure, but if you start low and work up it should become clear.

Gensets can often be fun'n'games, so for future reference.. https://www.victronenergy.com/live/multiplus_faq

1692881917876.png (31.1 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

phe avatar image
phe answered ·

Hi @JohnC

Thank you so much for your reply! Even though I never worked with his devices, I was able to follow up on all these steps.

now, I downloaded the software and changed the file on my PC.

I just hesitate to take the risk and upload the file.

My question: this seems to be a very complicated method of implementing such a basic user story.

Is there no other way? I just don’t see myself downloading, changing, and uploading files again and again, whenever I need to run the generator and then again whenever I need to plug into shore power.

Kind regards

Peter

2 |3000

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

@PHE

PC is good. Once you've ensured that 'Overruled by Remote' box is ticked, type "venus.local/app" in a browser. That will give you the Marine MFD app, which you might need to screen-zoom to get something like this..

1693108362831.png

Click the Input Limit box to get this..

1693108556936.png

A bit granular, but I find it very useful. This will work without an internet link to VRM, but VRM also has a similar option.

Don't fear the file upload method though. To just change that setting won't require a Multi reboot, and prior to those other options being available I used to keep multiple preset .rvsc files with various limits preset. A bit slow, and against 'standard procedure', but I used that way for a long time.

1693108362831.png (127.7 KiB)
1693108556936.png (19.0 KiB)
2 |3000

phe avatar image
phe answered ·

Dear @JohnC ,

thank you so much again for your answer!
I was able to upload the config-file and as you said: works just fine.

so I would like to keep 3 files:

1 for shore power 32 A

1 for emergencies under way: lithium power station with 2 A

1 for backup at remote places: fuel generator with 3 A

for the fuel generator I cannot find the right setting: it gets stuck at 2 A … other proposed values (i.e. 4 A or 5 A, different values for the two multiplus´s) - once uploaded - do not result in higher input to the battery bank.

Do you have an idea how I can solve this?

Also: when I access with Venus.local it will not accept low values. It does propose just the right value (3A) but it does not lock it in … jumps back to 8 A.

kind regards Peter

2 |3000

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Ok, special needs. It appears your Multi's are 120Vac units (wasn't stated). They have a minimum input setting of 7.5A, hence why the app is rounding to 8A. This can be overridden, BUT you'll need to disable Power Assist. The app can't do that, and you won't really be able to use ac loads in excess of that 2 or 3A you set.

That's a serious downside. If you can live with it in an 'emergency', then fine. You could actually include the untick of Power Assist in the .rvsc file upload. (Edit/ Might be .rvms file in your case).

Never forget though, that these uploads via VRM require an internet connection. Without that you'd need a MK3 dongle and know how to use it.

2 |3000

phe avatar image
phe answered ·

Thank you again for your quick response!

I think I will just live with the 2A Version of things - do not want to deepdive into these issues.
KISS is good!

Great Forum - thanks again !

1 comment
2 |3000

derrick thomas avatar image derrick thomas commented ·
With a MK3 and an OTG cable you can easily make these changes from a mobile device using victron connect with no file uploads and no internet access required.
0 Likes 0 ·