question

skipper7 avatar image
skipper7 asked

Lynx Power In or Distributor

Some of the Victron schematics show batteries connected and fused by a Lynx Distributor, then connected to a Lynx Shunt and then to another Lynx Distributor. Not sure if this was early drawing before the Power-In was announced. Would fusing sets of batteries this way, be of any benefit and would it compromised battery cables sizes.

Many thanks

lynx distributor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@skipper7

The difference will be that some regulations require each battery connected to the bus bar is fused. So the distributor is used. So check that for your local regs.

But not everywhere requires it, so just the power in will work in that case.

(They can also be modified to take fuses- short google search will bring it up if you do t want to use the lynx shunt to power the lights on the distributor)

How would your battery cables be compromised by fusing in the shunt? If anything a bus bar will help with current share over the bank.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

skipper7 avatar image skipper7 commented ·

Many thanks for the very quick reply.

My mention of battery cable sizing was to double check that the cable entry points to the Distributor & top cover were the same size as for the equivalent Power-In cable entry points.

thanks again.

1 Like 1 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ skipper7 commented ·

Ok, well in that case I have connected as large as 95mm there. So you will be fine.

They are exactly the same form factor.

0 Likes 0 ·
Craig Chamberlain avatar image
Craig Chamberlain answered ·

@skipper7 my setup has a pair of Lynx Power-In units modified as @Alexandra mentioned to take fuses. In my case it's not so much to do with local regs but because I wanted to use the standard battery cables supplied with my Pylontech US5000C battery modules. These cables are rated at 100-120A depending on who you ask, so I have fused them individually with 125A MEGA fuses as they enter the Power-In. I then have fuses separately for my inverter (200A) and two MPPTs (80A each) so that all cables and equipment are protected appropriately.

If you do decide to modify a Power-In then just take care to use very good quality bolts, washers and nuts, and ensure that they are installed correctly and torqued properly. You need to torque some of the fasteners twice, once to 10NM to hold the bolt in position against the plastic and then again to 14NM to clamp the fuse. Don't be tempted to skip the first torque as it is important. There are you tube videos which go into this in more detail. HTH

1 comment
2 |3000

skipper7 avatar image skipper7 commented ·

Many thanks Craig.

0 Likes 0 ·