question

hybridizd avatar image
hybridizd asked

Hybrid-Offgrid Setup. Questions on MCB / RCBO & implementation

Hi All,

I am nearing completion for my hybrid off-grid setup. Have been reading around but seem to get some mixed info on when/where to use an MCB or RCBO for the AC-Out and AC-In connections of the Multiplus circuits. Have two Multiplus 48/5000 in parallel.

Picture for illustrative purposes.

Any advice is much appreciated

20230727-153452.jpg

20230727-153459.jpg

Multiplus-IIoffgrid
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
mjs500 avatar image
mjs500 answered ·

MCB on AC-In to Multiplus base around transfer switch rating, for Multiplus ii 5000va 48v its 50 amps per unit max ( uk rcd type ( a ) can be used on AC-In as Multiplus dc isolated design )

AC- 1 out from Multiplus ii Multiplus ii 5000va 48v in ups mode being supplied by battery only is max 19 amps per unit

if generator is use to provide Ac power in and Multiplus ii is assist then you add inverter ac out amps to the generator power out - Ac insulator for both in and output good practise and rcd rcbo in final circlet

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

hybridizd avatar image hybridizd commented ·

Thanks!

The Multiplus is not in UPS mode as sometimes I will charge batteries from mains etc, also in the process of configuring the virtual switch to allow battery charging when at certain battery %.

Battery charging is set at 70A from the Multiplus II

I am not feeding back into the grid.

Based on what your saying-

50A MCB for AC-IN (Mains/Grid supply)

~19A RCB or RCBO for AC-1-Out

1 Like 1 ·
mjs500 avatar image
mjs500 answered ·

The Multiplus is not in UPS mode as sometimes I will charge batteries from mains etc, also in the process of configuring the virtual switch to allow battery charging when at certain battery %.

so a mains supply to both the Multiplus all time and allow battery charging to work ( if this so you will have mains power available as well as Multiplus inverter output to AC out 1 on both Multiplus so 19amp max from inverter and 50amps at both AC out 1 that`s if 100amp is available from your mains supply if not down rate MCB for AC-IN and low grid demand in the soft ware

and of cores this will low AC out 1 output when in parallel with mains both Multiplus ii

RCD are earth fault device only will not protect against over load or short cct so mcb is also needed

2 |3000