question

jm0278 avatar image
jm0278 asked

MPPT Voltages But No Current: Solved -> Local Network Issue

Discovered this morning that one of my two MPPT controllers, in this case the 100/50, had voltage from the PV array and showed the correct battery voltage, but refused to supply any current to the batteries despite the batteries being only about 50% charged.

The system is controlled by a Cerbo GX and all components are connected via appropriate communication cables. Over a year ago, when I installed everything, I enabled local Victron networking despite having the communication cables because...why not.

What corrected the issue with the MPPT 100/50 seeing good voltages but producing no current was to leave the local Victron network and rely exclusive on the communication cables. It appears the local network had somehow decided to shut off the current, possibly due because it thought there was an issue with battery temperature -- and there is no battery temperature sensor in my system.

HTH

Jim

MPPT ControllersVE.Smart Network
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

It's documented that you shouldn't use 'smart' networking with any of the others. MPPTs do have temperature sensors, quite possible the network mix saw this and misread it, but that's speculation on my part.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Graydon avatar image
Graydon answered ·

I have exactly the same issue, but on only one of my MPPT 150/100 controllers (The other MPPT 150/100 and 250/100) work fine. This happened 2 days ago before I noticed. I removed it from the local network and its works fine again. So should all controllers be OFF the network??

2 comments
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
@Graydon

They are networked through the GX. So there is no need for the Smart network.

See limitations in the smart network manual, the BT smart network is designed for a non GX based system.

2 Likes 2 ·
jm0278 avatar image jm0278 commented ·

I also have two MPPTs. One is a 150/70 and the other the 100/50. For whatever reason, only the 100/50 stopped supplying current. I did remove all the devices I had participating in the smart network since they are all also connected to the Cerbo via communications cables. Everything has been working great since doing so.

2 Likes 2 ·

Related Resources

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

VE.Smart Networking Manual