question

logic28 avatar image
logic28 asked

Remote console failed to connect

I am learning how to use the equipment and followed some advice on how to connect to the console via VRM after having first connected through Venus in order to set it up.

After doing so I get a confusing situation starting with seeing two Cerbos in my devices.

I'll include some snapshots of the different stages including the final error message "Remote console failed to connect" in case someone else has experienced similar behaviour and can give me some advice.

015.png

01.png032.png

02.png

035.png

037.png

04.png

06.png

cerbo gx
06.png (20.1 KiB)
04.png (49.5 KiB)
015.png (111.1 KiB)
01.png (107.6 KiB)
032.png (141.0 KiB)
02.png (113.1 KiB)
035.png (60.8 KiB)
037.png (124.1 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

Maybe Remote Console on LAN is disabled.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

logic28 avatar image
logic28 answered ·

Actually, LAN was enabled but I discovered that the password was not disabled and it started to work. However, after that, I could no longer connect via Bluetooth as it does not accept the password that was set in it and I am trying to figure out how to reset that to default with no success so far.

3 comments
2 |3000

seb71 avatar image seb71 commented ·
Generally is good practice to secure a device with passwords, disabling certain access methods, etc.

But when you learn a new device, don't start with that.

-------

Regarding the Bluetooth: try removing the pairing from the phone. Also try other phone (after you removed the pairing). Maybe power cycle the Cerbo. Bluetooth is very finicky.

Do you have any USB dongles on your Cerbo?

1 Like 1 ·
logic28 avatar image logic28 seb71 commented ·
Thanks, I'll do that although I have already tried rebooting, in fact after having deactivated the password, as per instructions, and rebooted, I finally had the remote console on my phone however it was still connected via Venus then, having changed wifi connection to the building one, everything went pear shape and worst than before.
0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image seb71 logic28 commented ·
Not just reboot. Power cycle. Remove the power connector from Cerbo, wait a few seconds, plug it back in.
0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Logic28

That you're fighting with 2 lan connections and bt as well, suggests you haven't studied the manual. Cerbo is multi-talented, and you really need to decide what you want to do, how to tackle it, and understand what you're looking at.

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Cerbo_GX/en/internet-connectivity.html See Sections 6,7,12 and maybe others.

Network addressing is a challenge for many people, so best approached logically. Flick the bt, try disabling the secondary wifi access point, and even consider typing in "venus.local" to access Remote Console.

You'll need to develop a 'feel' for this stuff, so go steady at it.

1 comment
2 |3000

logic28 avatar image logic28 commented ·
Network addressing is a challenge for many people, so best approached logically.

I agree and thanks for your advice however, this seems to be a Bluetooth problem and only on this device, it won't access Cerbo via Bluetooth stating "wrong password".

I was trying to figure out how to reset it but no luck so far.

Venus seems to be working and now gives me the remote console but only through Venus network and I have to figure out how to allow the home wifi to connect so that I can use it further away.

0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

Venus seems to be working and now gives me the remote console but only through Venus network and I have to figure out how to allow the home wifi to connect so that I can use it further away.

You connect Cerbo to your home Wi-Fi, not your home Wi-Fi to Cerbo's Access Point.

1 comment
2 |3000

logic28 avatar image logic28 commented ·
An update, I have connected also the building WiFi and now I can view the remote console online in VRM.

It is still unclear how the Cerbo password became corrupted end/or how it can be reset, the MPPT has a PUK number which I do not see on the Cerbo. Besides, I only received the option for resetting the password once whereas now all I have by clicking the 3 dots is the option to "forget the device"

0 Likes 0 ·
logic28 avatar image
logic28 answered ·

Last update;

Problem solved: what was confusing is the Cerbo login prompting the code "000 000" which is in fact incorrect, instead the code printed on the side of the unit under the description of "Bluetooth Pin" is the one to be used.

Hope this helps others falling into the same issue.

Thanks to everyone's input.

4 comments
2 |3000

seb71 avatar image seb71 commented ·
It's printed on the device ands also explained in the manual. If you install devices yourself, you should read the manual.
0 Likes 0 ·

Sure

0 Likes 0 ·

I read the manual in fact, as I stated earlier, I had it working in the beginning.

In any case, what is the message appearing prompting to use 000 000 for ? That it's what confused me later when I was trying to rectify the problem.

It is very confusing like everything I've heard from their official videos, typical of German based-language companies of which I have had some experience before

0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image seb71 logic28 commented ·

For GX devices with a serial number less than HQ2242, the default PIN code is 000000. GX devices with a serial number equal to or greater than HQ2242 have a random 6-digit PIN code printed on the label (on the back of the GX device).

The 000000 default PIN for Bluetooth pairing is suggested by VictronConnect for older devices. It can't detect the serial number (to know it's a newer device, which does not have 000000 as default) before connecting. Also it can't list chunks from the manual in that hint.

1 Like 1 ·