question

sto avatar image
sto asked

Orion TR Smart 12 12 18, reduce charge current

Is there a way to limit the charge current of the Orion charger? My wiring allows for max 10A otherwise the voltage drops too much.

I could not find anything about that in the configuration menu.

If it can't be configured, is there a feasible workaround? Running new wires won't be possible with any reasonable effort, and 10A is really all I need as a charge current.

orion-tr smartcharge current limit
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
thomas-dd avatar image
thomas-dd answered ·

If the current is limited by the cables the voltage drop only applies at high currents. In later lower-current charging states you will have the full voltage (by basic R = U/I relation)

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

There's no current control. It's limited by the battery you're charging.

2 |3000

thomas-dd avatar image
thomas-dd answered ·

is there any device known, which offers to limit currents?

1 comment
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
You might get it working by putting a high current diode in the input side, not the battery side, but I doubt it.
0 Likes 0 ·