question

chiliwa avatar image
chiliwa asked

Victron MultiPlus II 48/5000/70/50 parallel compatibility

Good day,

I have a Victron MultiPlus II 48/5000/70/50 currently installed. I want to add another Victron MultiPlus II 48/5000/70/50 but the installer says the current one is too old to be paired with the new one. The current one was manufactured in 2019. Is this true?

Multiplus-IImultiplus in parallel
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
matt1309 avatar image
matt1309 answered ·
Not 100% on how bad it is if you dont do this but I believe you're advised to get an inverter of similar ages and hardware revision model. I assume it's to ensure the load is shared equally (similar internal resistances of each model).

I recently bought a second model however it was only a year after I bought the first one.

I bought mine from a wholesaler and just emailed them. I got forwarded to their technical department who was able to review their stock to see if they had an appropriate version in stock. Fortunately they did. It might be worth asking around a few wholesalers but 2019 might be a bit more of a challenge to find one of similar age/hardware revision.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@Chiliwa

@matt1309 and your installer are correct.

To parrellel two inverters they need to be the same hardware revision.

Even if by some bit of luck a person has in stock the exact same serial range of your inverter, electronic ageing makes adding a new one not feasible. It will not be worth it.

What you can do is split your DB and have another system run that section.

In any case, you will also need to add to battery bank, and then just buying a bigger inverter is probably less troublesome.

1 Like 1 ·
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

There was a powerpack change after you bought your first inverter. The probability of them working well together is small. It will “work” but you may experience a large imbalance.

If you do have problems with old and new, there is a process to allow you to exchange the old one under warranty. Dealers should also be aware of this.

2 |3000