question

brianjonesphoto avatar image
brianjonesphoto asked

Battery sense vs smartsolar voltage limits

When using a smart solar mppt that is networked with a battery sense which voltage reading is used to determine cut offs?

My battery is a long run (15 linear feet)from my scc so I decided to use a battery sense to help compensate for transmission loss. It’s wired with 6awg cable. 24v system with 640 watts of solar so losses should’ve minimal.

I’m seeing about .25v loss from the scc output voltage. It appears the scc cut off setting is being used at 28v which is only 27.7v at the battery.

Isn’t the point of the battery sense to tell the scc the actual battery voltage and use that figure to determine the voltage cutoff?

Am I missing something?

Thanks.

MPPT SmartSolarSmart Battery Sense
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
@brianjonesphoto

Are you trying to use the battery sense discharge when you refer to cut off?

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi @brianjonesphoto

Can you post some screenshots of the MPPT settings, MPPT trends and VE.Smart networking page?

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
brianjonesphoto avatar image
brianjonesphoto answered ·

No by cut off I am referring to the charge voltage limits set within the mppt. For example my battery only got to 27.7 volts yesterday and the mppt is set to 28v. I am under the impression that the battery sense is a remote sensor so the mppt will use actual battery voltage instead of its output voltage readings.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.