question

paul-g avatar image
paul-g asked

Victron newbie, can’t quite work out what bits I need!

homeowner looking to add solar panels and DC coupled batteries to house. Really want an off grid function, so when the grid’s down I can still use power and keep the solar system running so mostly self contained.

Local Power Network has allowed up to 9kW of onsite generation. Single phase. 6kW export cap.

Solar arrays planned on 3 roofs:

ENE with 10x 415W panels

WSW with 8x 415W panels

SSE with 6x 415W panels

A theoretically 9.9kW of solar! It’ll maybe hit 7kW on a very good day…

all Trina 415W rated around 45v.

Will be using Tigo’s on all due to shading issues.

Main question is what Victron kit do I need to accomplish this? It’s really not that easy compared to the Solar Edge and SunSynk type products!

Is the multiplus the right hybrid inverter? how do I accommodate 3 Solar strings? Are the MPPTs rated high enough to accommodate? Do I need a battery controller to be able to mange the batteries? Which batteries are best and is there a limit to how many I can have? Ideally need 30kWh.

I’m close to calling a Victron dealer just to talk this through! failing that I have DNO permission for a 6kW Solar Edge hybrid inverter with PowerWall (set to zero export) which is a bit of a compromise, but it’ll be easy to deliver.

thank you in advance.
paul.

Help
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nesswill avatar image nesswill commented ·

This may or may not help you but i found it very useful

MPPT Calculator - Victron Energy

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
mvas avatar image
mvas answered ·

Have you asked your local Victron Dealer for design assistance?

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

paul-g avatar image paul-g Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
Not yet, but I’m close to doing this (as I mention above).
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic