question

expresslife avatar image
expresslife asked

MPPT Ground

I have a 12v system in a RV that is electrically isolated from the vehicle, meaning they don't share a common negative on the chassis. I have a 100/30 MPPT that has a grounding screw on the side, should I connect this to my house batteries negative or the chassis of the vehicle even though it doesn't form a closed loop?

MPPT ControllerswiringGrounding
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Margreet Leeftink (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Margreet Leeftink (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Should a fault occur in the MPPT and its housing becomes live no current cant flow via you into the RV because the path is not complete. The only way you can complete the path is if you were to touch the MPPT housing with one hand and with your other hand the battery negative or PV negative.

I would recommend for you to connect the MPPT grounding screw to the battery negative.

But, be aware that, if the MPPT is mounted to a metal surface, the instance you connect the grounding screw to the battery negative you will also have created a connection between the RV chassis and the battery negative. This might be undesirable. In that case connect the ground screw to the chassis.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nonemauro avatar image nonemauro commented ·

Just to confirm your answer... I am using my vehicle chassis (connected to a common negative bus bar) as the main ground for my system, thus I should connect BOTH the grounding screw (on the side of the MPPT unit) and the MPPT Battery Negative to my negative bus bar... is this correct?

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Victron Wiring Unlimited Book