question

samduncan avatar image
samduncan asked

Multiplus II goes into invert mode when mains is present

I have a Multiplus II GX 5kVA with 3 x US3000C Pylontech batteries and some solar panels, running in ESS mode with grid feed in. I have setup Node-RED to send me an email whenever the "AC Input" changes (see screenshot). 2023-08-01-06-55-55.png

I'm seeing that the inverter is going into "Inverting" mode when there is mains present. This is when there is no solar, so I can't see why this should happen. I have also setup a "grid lost" alarm, but this isn't triggered.

2023-08-01-06-57-54.png

It's not causing me any problems, but I'm trying to understand why it's happening as part of bigger plans to use the change in "AC input" to trigger various actions via Node-RED. (I'm a noob to Node-RED, so maybe I'm doing something stoopid...)

Multiplus-IINode-RED
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

Grid rejection is not uncommon, particularly with weak grids. If you search on the forum you will find a few topics like this.

Connect with veconfigure and a mk3 to the inverter. Under the grid tab is an "NS protection log". This shows the last 3 causes of grid loss. Usually voltage, frequency etc.

The issue usually resolves before grid loss alarm is triggered.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

samduncan avatar image
samduncan answered ·

Thanks - I'll give it a try as soon as I get home and can use my son's Windows machine to run VE Configure. I've got a Mac....

This could also be related to another issue that I'm getting where the Inverter goes into overload alarm and shuts down while there is grid power (seems to be similar to https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/57069/overload-warnings-on-grid-connection-victron-ess.html).

1 comment
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

That is an older case, there was a lot addressed in subsequent firmware. If you are current that shouldn't be an issue now.

It may be that it is coinciding with grid rejection so you have an inadvertent overload, or possibly a bad load lurking somewhere.

Overload warnings are not uncommon and often related to gird issues, I get plenty myself and it is from the poor utility. But for it to power off would imply some other variables at play.

0 Likes 0 ·