question

william-foreman avatar image
william-foreman asked

Questions about my new 100/50 Victron smart charge controller

I have a Victron 100/50 smart charge controller. I also have three 100 W five busbar Renorgy panels and Four nine busbar renorgy 100 W panels. i’m going to be charging a 12 V system here my batteries are LIFEPO4 type. I have to run my wire from my panels 100 feet to get to the charge controller and batteries I bought 12 gauge solar wire to try and do this as I understand why Oregon series would increase the voltage but keep the amps manageable higher voltage would move more easily through that 100 feet of 12 gauge wire or so it is my understanding what I want to know is can I wire six or seven of those panels in series to this charge controller for 12 V battery system serious would save me money I wouldn’t have to buy extra connectors or worry about fusing every positive on every panel parallels out of the question because of the distance I’ve heard lots of people say you can over panel and overpower a Victron charge controller however don’t exceed the OC voltage I don’t know how in the world that works if you’re over exceeding you’re over exceeding voltage or otherwise I really wish I could put at least six panels in series and not have anything to worry about right now I have a 100 amp hr. Battery and I plan on buying a second one in paralleling the both of them together very soon. I bought the 100/50 Victron smart charge controller and the Victron smart battery sense and the Victron smart shunt and also the Victron phoenix 1200 W 120 V 60 HZ inverter.

EasySolar All-in-One
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Michelle Konzack avatar image
Michelle Konzack answered ·

I assume your 100Wp panels have a Voc of around 22V and Vmpp of 18V, hence around 5,5A.

If you have only 33ft, then I would use 6mm² or AWG 10.

HOWEVER, 12V and 50A mean 600W max while you have 3x100W plus 9x100W which mean 1200W.

If the technical data of both type of Solarpanels are the same, you can put 2s2p on the MPPT which give you 54Vmpp and around 11A on the PV side where your AWG 12 if very fine. (I have 26A over more the 70ft with an AWG 10 (6mm²)

However, you need a second MPPT 150/50 to handle the second set of Solarpanels.

Yot singel MPPT 100/50 would be fine, if you have a 24V battery, but then I would go with a MPPT 150/50 and 6s2p.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.