question

quentintoad avatar image
quentintoad asked

MPPT 100/20 set up problem

Can anyone advise on this?

Our two 175W solar panels are correctly connected and the MPPT 100/20 is showing a blue light. We have an auto electrician here helping and he can't work out the problem either.

The electrician says the way it is set up it will only power devices that are wired from the LOAD on the MPPT, but obviously the reason we want solar is to charge the leisure batteries when we are off-grid and not driving.

The MPPT is not appearing on the Victron app (the other two products are in the app). So I cannot access any settings from the app. Is it likely the MPPT bluetooth is faulty?

Our wiring diagram attachedNomadic Energy wiring diagram.pdf doesn't seem to show how the charge controller will power up our leisure batteries.

Are we doing something obviously wrong?

The Victron troubleshooting guide doesn't seem to be helpful here.

Thanks

Alex

MPPT ControllersMPPT SmartSolarsmart solar set-up help
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mvas avatar image mvas commented ·
The electrician says the way it is set up it will only power devices that are wired from the LOAD on the MPPT...

If you don't have Bluetooth connectivity, then how can the "electrician" know this?
Is the"electrician" certified to work on Victron MPPT devices?
Are you consulting with a certified Victron dealer?

Did the Bluetooth connection to the MPPT 100/20 ever work?
Did you test Bluetooth connectivity before installing in to the vehicle?
Do you know how to reset the MPPT?

0 Likes 0 ·
quentintoad avatar image quentintoad mvas commented ·
Hello mvas - really good points and I agree. I don't think the auto electrician understands Victron products very well or solar it seems. He was helping with the other setup so we asked him back about this. We're on our own with it now.

I've contacted the dealer I bought the products from and I'm waiting for a response.

This is the first install of the MPPT 100/20, so it's never worked, no.

I am not sure how to test the bluetooth connectivity to the MPPT - but I'll look into it and I don't know how to reset the MPPT.

Thanks

0 Likes 0 ·
quentintoad avatar image quentintoad quentintoad commented ·
I've just located the Victron Connect troubleshooting doc online and I'm going to try what it suggests.
0 Likes 0 ·
4 Answers
mjs500 avatar image
mjs500 answered ·

I cannot access any settings from the app. Is it likely the MPPT Bluetooth is faulty with Victron connect can see the 100/20 Mppt in device list local as belowscreenshot-20230728-140538.png

also is your 100/20 mppt blue solar or smart solar - blue solar has no Bluetooth but can be set up Ve direct port with ve direct to usb lead or blue tooth smart dongle - smart solar has built-in Bluetooth and also Ve direct port for programming and comm with Bluetooth pin number will be needed

( blue tooth can switch off in the setup )

only power devices that are wired from the LOAD on the MPPT, not so you have battery + /- output this will supply battery with controlled voltage and current be pending on setup i.e. 12-24-48v battery setup - load output is for other control loads street light function

and PV for solar panel input +/- to max 100 volts with this model

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

quentintoad avatar image
quentintoad answered ·

GAWD - the 100/200 doesn't have bluetooth it seems. So please don't worry about that part. Still not sure that it is charging the batteries however.

The dealer has given this info:

The Blue mppt is set as needed via a little dial on the bottom of the unit (the side where the connections are, on the right is a dial, this should be set to number 2 for AGM batteries. (This should be covered in the ebook that accompanies the wiring diagrams)

You will see the batteries are charging by the status LED on the controller or via the BMV showing the power going in.

The LED on the solar controller will change colour according to the charge profile in use at any point.

Does this look like a solution?

1 comment
2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

@Quentintoad The Blue mppt is set as needed via a little dial on the bottom

The 100-20 does not have a rotary dial to change battery charge presets.

You will need a bluetooth dongle, a VE direct > usb cable and a computer, or VE direct comms with a GX device to fully program the Bluesolar 100-20 mppt.

Return it, and get a SmartSolar 100-20.

0 Likes 0 ·
mjs500 avatar image
mjs500 answered ·

smartsolar-mppt-100-20-front.png

Smart solar mppt 100/20 with blue tooth and ve direct port just about fuse left hand side no little dial for battery pre-sets ( that little dial function start on 100/30 Mppt model onwords)

511a3n4ge6l-ac-us75.jpgBlue solar mppt 100/20 with out (blue tooth ) and ve direct port just about fuse left hand side no little dial for battery pre-sets

so only way to set up Blue solar mppt is with Ve. direct Bluetooth smart bongle or

VE direct to usb cable and a computer, or VE direct comms with a GX device

ve-direct-bluetooth-smart-dongle.jpg

Ve. direct Bluetooth smart bongle

ve-direct-to-usb-1.png

VE direct to usb cable

2 |3000

quentintoad avatar image
quentintoad answered ·

Thank you. I think we will have to buy a dongle thing and see if that helps.

2 |3000