question

tgonc avatar image
tgonc asked

MC4 inline Fuse between MPPT & solar panels a good safety precaution?

Hello!

I have an MPPT 100/20 and 2x 185W (9,3A charge) solar panels in parallel using splitters. I know the MPPT 100/20 has an inbuilt fuse but I was wondering whether it would be a good extra safety precaution to use an inline MC4 fuse on installation between the MPPT and the solar panels? In that case would a 20A suffice for both panels? Or would it be better to use two fuses one on each panel at 10A?

Many thanks :-)

Tim

MPPT Controllersfuses
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Juraj Nikolov avatar image Juraj Nikolov commented ·

If I can advise, stretch the cable for the parallel connection to the switchboard, connect it parallel there and install the fuse, SPD, circuit breaker, etc.

If your fuse goes bad, you'll have it at hand and you don't to go onthe the roof :)

If you have two panels that have a isc current of 9.3A, then you can use 10A fuses for + and - polarity (for each panel), that is, in your case, you can secure each panel with a 10A fuse in it, if you want to, you can protect it with a 20A fuse or breaker (+ and -) after the parallel connection :)

0 Likes 0 ·
tgonc avatar image tgonc Juraj Nikolov commented ·
Hi Juraj, Thanks for the comment. :-) Cheers Tim
0 Likes 0 ·
0 Answers

Related Resources

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic