question

krmarine avatar image
krmarine asked

Is it possible to control a Victron Quattro from a CCGX – over VE CAN?

Hello.

I have a Victron Quattro, CCGX panel, VE Bus to NMEA cable and a VE CAN to NMEA cable.

These 4 items are all connected as per Diagram 1.1 here:
https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ve.can:nmea-2000:start

Data from the Quattro reports fine on the CCGX (NMEA bus OK) - However I am unable to change the Quattro’s mode (On/Off/Charger Only).
The CCGX screen shows the mode change, but nothing actually changes on the Quattro.

Further down on the page link above I did notice that the VE CAN is stated as being “read only”
CCGX does not send any information to the N2K network.

Does this mean the CCGX it will not send out the required data to request the Quattro change mode?

I must add that what I am ultimately trying to achieve with this equipment......

1) I want to have the ability to control the Quattro ON/OFF from the CCGX panel.

-I do not need (or want to) to send any commands from our systems NMEA network to control the Quattro.

2) I would like our vessels NMEA network to be able to monitor the running state of the Quattro.

Best Regards
KR

CCGX Color Control
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

krmarine avatar image krmarine commented ·

Victron output On

CCGX showing the switch state as OFF ?

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
Martijn Coster (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Martijn Coster (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @KRMarine,

The CCGX should be able to control the ON/OFF state of the Quattro. With one exception when a VEBus BMS is used. read paragraph 1.4: 'VEBus systems with Lithium batteries and VEBus BMS' for more information on this.
https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ccgx:start?s[]=vebus&s[]=bms#connecting_victron_products

best regards

Martijn Coster - Victron Energy

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

krmarine avatar image krmarine commented ·

Hi.

We had another session trying to get the Quattro to switch ON from the CCGX over VE CAN today.

Prior to starting we switched the Quattro OFF from the CCGX over a VEbus Link.

Then the CCGX was updated to the latest firmware from the Victron website. V2.3x I think ( it’s whatever is the latest).

Then all the cables were reconfigured to be as per the Victron diagram. So VE BUS to NMEA 2000 adapter and the VE CAN cable connected to the NMEA backbone too.

On reapplying DC power to the vessel - the Quattro powered up and went straight into Invert mode. I thought ok, fair enough I’ll switch it off. The CCGX reports the correct status of the Victron but we are unable to switch it OFF or ON.

The really odd thing is the CCGX shows the switch state is OFF, but the output of the Quattro continues to be On and inverting!

Any advice would be great !!

0 Likes 0 ·