question

Marc Schmaus avatar image
Marc Schmaus asked

Cerbo GX not booting on 12V power supply

Dear All.

I have a Cerbo GX here connected to 3 Phase Quattro II 5000/48 system. Its working very well.

I just tried to connect my Cerbo GX to a new powersupply for more availability. Its a high quality Meanwell DRS-240-12. It is connected to a 35 Ah 12 V lead gel battery.
All my 12 V devices like Fritz!Box, Switches and Cameras are connected to this powersupply, no problems so far.

When connecting the Cerbo GX the leds are flashing for about 10 seconds and nothing more, all leds are going off and nothing happens. The powering cables are about 5 metres long and the cable thickness is 1,5 square millimeters, so voltage drop is only 0,1 Volt. The Voltage measuring at the Cerbo is 13,45 V. The DRS-240-12 has 240 Watts, only 20 Watts are drained from other devices at the moment. The Cerbo still dont come up when i am shutting down all other devices.

Connecting the Cerbo back to the old powersupply, its an old and cheap 15 V powersupply, all works fine.

Any suggestions whats going on here?
Sincerely Marc

cerbo gx
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

If you have a meter, try and measure the voltage at the Cerbo while it's connected. Might be a fault in the cable that you're missing.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Marc Schmaus avatar image Marc Schmaus commented ·
as described above the Voltage at the Cerbo is 13.45 V, the Voltage at the Powersupply ist 13.55 V, so i have only 0.1 V drop because of the cable...

I have connected another device at this cable and this device is working...

0 Likes 0 ·
Marc Schmaus avatar image
Marc Schmaus answered ·

I just solved this Problem:

The only Difference between the two power supplies is the Ground! The power supply with the ground not installed is working, the new power supply is grounded.

In the Cerbo GX Manual 3.3 Powering the Cerbo GX you can read that the Ethernet port is isolated, except the shield: use unshielded UTP cables for the Ethernet network.

So i do. Problem solved. RTFM.

Greetings
Marc

1 comment
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

nicely solved!

0 Likes 0 ·