question

esitver avatar image
esitver asked

Does Temperature Sensor (ASS000001000) also monitor voltage when connected to BMV712?

I’d like to use a temperature sensor connected to my BMV 712, and have my MPPT 75/15 receive that temperature data wirelessly. I currently have a shunt connected to monitor battery battery voltage, but there’s only room for one shunt to be connected to the 712. I can find no manual specific to the temperature sensor, and the manual for the 712 does not provide enough detail on connecting sensors/probes.

Three questions:

1. If I connect the temperature sensor probe, does it also communicate battery voltage to the BMV 712, or must I have two sensors installed, one for temp and one for voltage?

2. For the temperature sensor to function, do I need to select the temperature as the auxiliary input on the BMV 712?

3. And if I do need to set temperature as the auxiliary input, then how do I get the BMV 712 to monitor my starter battery in addition to my house bank?

Regards,

Ed

Temperature Sensor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Mark avatar image
Mark answered ·

1- The temperature sensor that you have quoted (PN: ASS000001000) is the WRONG temperature sensor to use with a BMV-702 or BMV-712. PN: ASS000001000 can only be used with a MultiPlus/Quattro/Venus GX and it must be installed on the negative battery terminal.

For a BMV you MUST use temperature sensor PN: ASS000100000 and it must be installed on the positive battery terminal - you can also easily identify this temperature sensor as it has an inline fuse.

Yes the single ASS000100000 temperature sensor provides BOTH the voltage & temperature reading to the BMV - see extract from quick install guide below;

2- Yes

3- You can't - you must choose only one other monitoring option for B2 - either battery temperature, battery mid-point voltage or auxiliary battery voltage.

1561376052715.png (92.5 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

ASS000001000 is not the correct temperature sensor for connecting to the BMV-712 shunt.

ASS000100000 is the one to use.

1. The temperature probe measures battery Voltage and temperature.

2. Yes, select temperature as the auxiliary input on the BMV-712.

3. There is only one auxiliary input, you have to decide what you want to use it for. If you decide to measure temperature, then you can no longer measure the Voltage of a second battery.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Victron temperature sensor disambiguation table - which product supports which sensor