question

jj-o-jj avatar image
jj-o-jj asked

Easy Solar II overheating

ES II has design flaw/feature which is that it has 250/70 MPPT placed inside the box. So naturally it gets very hot and shuts off on temp alarms.

So my question is, how would i go about "transplanting" mppt to outside of the ESII box?

EasySolar All-in-One
5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mvas avatar image mvas commented ·
Is this unit still under warranty? It should not over heat. What is the ambient air temperature, near the unit?
0 Likes 0 ·
petajoule avatar image petajoule mvas commented ·
+1 on the (still unanswered) ambient temp.
0 Likes 0 ·
jj-o-jj avatar image jj-o-jj mvas commented ·
Yes. 30C (as seen in photo). Sometimes it goes up to to 40C, but this is not ambient temp but thermostat sensor picks up temp of direct air flow of the ESII exaust fan (as seen on photo).
0 Likes 0 ·
yann avatar image yann jj-o-jj commented ·
30°C at the fan output is not that heat. It should not shut down on temp alarm with only 30 ...
0 Likes 0 ·
spicedreams avatar image spicedreams commented ·
I have the same problem, the ES II cannot sustain 2 kW inverting for long especially when getting 2 kW from the solar panels. As with you, ambient temperature not that high.

What makes it worse there seems to be no means to read the temperature. I use VRM which has temperature widgets but they show no data, and there's nothing in the web console either. So the first I hear about it is the inverter shutting down due to over temperature.
Should I be able to monitor temperature?

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

Have you considered adding an external fan to help airflow? Might be less of a problem to do vs rewiring the easysolar.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

Yep increase the air flow.

Blowing from below up and from the top away from the unit.

Did you give plenty of space around the unit? Mounting it upright, not on its back?

1 Like 1 ·
jj-o-jj avatar image
jj-o-jj answered ·

Upright installation, plenty of room on the sides and on top.

150mm extracting wall fan (250m3/h) near the top of ESII, 150mm vent hole on the other side of the shed.

20230726_153329.jpg

temp alarm.png

Is there any option to manually override stock fan speeds or replace it with more capable one?

I think in the ESII GX there is the same fan as in MPII, so it wasnt really designed to cope with added hot air created by added mppt inside the box.

Adding like a computer fan below would be an option, but the design of the air intake space below really isnt suitable for such aid. 2 fans below would be better, but because of all the wires a lot of airflow would not go inside the chassis. And also you cannot place these 2 fans close enough to the box...

Easysolar-II-GX-48V3000-35A (connections).png

Placing mppt outside or increasing extraction rates of the stock fan would be better alternatives, i think.

1 comment
2 |3000

nesswill avatar image nesswill commented ·
I have (in the parsed and not on my solar equipment) used fans with piping to ensure i get good airflow/cooling where it's needed. If you can blow in and suck out (two or more fans) you will increase airflow and cooling.
0 Likes 0 ·
jj-o-jj avatar image
jj-o-jj answered ·

Is there any option to increase rpm on the stock cooler?

2 |3000