question

Marc Gillespie avatar image
Marc Gillespie asked

Reconnecting solar panels after storm

My panels disconnected themselves in a storm. I want to reconnect after replacing a couple of MC4 connectors that were ripped off. The charge controller is still live and operational, but without any feed from panels. Should I simply reconnect panels or do I need to turn off charge controller and start a new set up sequence?

Solar Panel
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@gadfly

I assume you have a DC disconnect.

Your battery is already installed. The prigramming shouldn't have changed.

So connect the panels together, check your PV voltage. Switch on your breaker. Check function.

5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Marc Gillespie avatar image Marc Gillespie commented ·
Sorry to ask the dumb questions but that is why I'm posting.. Where would I find a a "DC Disconnect" if I did have one in the system? ( Everything is as it was pre storm - connected to batteries. In fact Victron Inverter/charger presently is presently connected to shore power. )
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ Marc Gillespie commented ·
Look in the cabling between the panels and the charge controller. Usually just before the cabling for the panels goes into the controller.
0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

No dumb questions, only dumb one is the one that should have been asked but was not.

You definitely need to familiarise yourself with the switchgear on the system.

There should be some way to switch a breker or something to disconnect the solar cables (ideally near the mppt).

0 Likes 0 ·
Marc Gillespie avatar image Marc Gillespie Alexandra ♦ commented ·
Thanks for the great and fast responses . I plan to be on board next few days and will look for breaker and will turn off if I can otherwise plan to leave it “running “ and reconnect panels . I do be intend to try and re connect the panels (done lots of online learning about MC4 connectors). I will report back
0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ Marc Gillespie commented ·
It would be best not to do it live.

If there is no breaker, connect to the mppt with BT and switch it off.

Polarity is important since it is DC. Thats why you need to check before powering up the PV Pside.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic