question

dennis84 avatar image
dennis84 asked

New Venus OS GUI beta

I just wanted to show my appreciation for the beta of the new Venus OS GUI available in the latest Venus OS builds.

It looks like a proper web app, running in all browsers, scaling, touch optimized, looks very good to me.

I am an app developer myself and I always thought there needs to be an app that works as dashboard and control like a Victron Touch device but on mobile devices with a local connection.

That means you could use a tablet(s) as a control and dashboard device for a Venus/GX system just like a Victron Touch device. I think that's a big deal and a very good move from Victron.

@Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) I am specialized in making native (iOS & android) apps from web apps. I would be happy to help with that.

Venus OSgui-v2
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered Ā·

Hi @Dennis84,

Thanks for the encouraging feedback.

I've moved this post over to the modifications because the new beta UI isn't quite ready for too many questions :)

Victron has been a long time supporter of the proactive developers, it's one of the reasons for our approach to open source and public beta software development.

It's also a bit of Victron history that one of our most senior software developers was also once an end user who put some of his spare time into making some Victron apps to improve his own UI and UX. His custom UI became what we are all using today.

Internally there is still a lot of development and design work that happens before it becomes visible the public beta cycle, and at this stage the focus is on delivering that without delay.

The underlying layer of the new GUI considerably opens up new front-end design space for the UI though, and could potentially allow more opportunity for an enterprising engineer express themselves either for their own system, for a large client wanting something more custom, or as something to demonstrate to the community that they can do it better than Victron :)

We have some internal resources that could make this process easier, and once the 'normal' solution is delivered, Matthijs may decide to open those up as well.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dansonamission avatar image
dansonamission answered Ā·

Looking forward to this being released!

2 |3000

roger-seibel avatar image
roger-seibel answered Ā·

The latest Betas of the Beta GUI are working fine on every PC browsers, but in IOS and MAC OS there are missing many components. Please have a look at this.

Regards, Roger

5 comments
2 |3000

Hi Roger,

They may already be known, but itā€™s hard to tell without more details.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
roger-seibel avatar image roger-seibel Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·
Hi Guy, under Safari i see following differences to Chrome and Firefox:
  • Page Brief: Battery is always displayed as 0%, Grid and Solar on the left side are missing, only consumtion on the right side works.
  • Page Overview: Block Battery and Solar yield missing.
  • Page Levels: Tanks and Environment empty.
  • Settings work.

Checked with: iPhone, iPad, MacBook with iOS 16.6 / Developer Beta 17 and MacOS 14.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ā™¦ā™¦ roger-seibel commented Ā·
It is known, but again, this is not a public beta yet as it is still too rough.

When it is ready it will be announced for broader testing.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
roger-seibel avatar image roger-seibel roger-seibel commented Ā·

New HTML5 GUI is now working fine under Safari on IOS and MAC since 3.20~2.

Thx, ROger

0 Likes 0 Ā·
lucien avatar image lucien Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·

Hi Guy,

Very happy with my first impression of the new gui. Here I upload 2 screenshots, from my iPhone and my MacBook Pro. On the iPhone not all data is available, on Safari as well as Chrome. On the MacBook it's all there.
I'm available for testing if needed.
Kind regards,
Lucien
img-5819.png
screenshot-2023-07-28-at-221426.png

0 Likes 0 Ā·
Jeremy Albrecht avatar image
Jeremy Albrecht answered Ā·

It sounds like this post is talking about the new HTML5 "Marine MFD" web UI, not the new Venus UI, correct?

3 comments
2 |3000

We have new GUI betas going for both :)
0 Likes 0 Ā·
Jeremy Albrecht avatar image Jeremy Albrecht Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·
Yes, Iā€™m aware. I was just commenting that the post title reads as though it might be talking about the Venus UI, but the entire post content is about the WebUI, and then your reply to that post is about the Venus UI. Thatā€™s to say that I think you and the original poster are talking about different things.
0 Likes 0 Ā·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·
The Venus gui isn't a public beta yet, given it is a work in progress and will just result in too many questions.
0 Likes 0 Ā·

Related Resources

Victron Venus OS Open Source intro page

Venus OS GitHub (please do not post to this)

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic