question

albundy avatar image
albundy asked

Multiplus-ii and PLCBUS devices

I'm working on installing a Multiplus-ii 48/3000/32 but made a test setup first.
AC-in is connected, a 48V battery is connected and fully functional and on the AC-out1 a PDU is connected for testing devices.

For Home Automation PLCBUS is used. This is similar but an improved version of X10.
It uses a "transmitter" that sends pulses on the L-wire. The addressing is the same as X10. E.g. A10 ON command will send a message to switch the device with address A10 ON. This PLCBUS setup works fine for about 15 years now without the Multiplus-ii of course.

Setup1: PLCBUS connected to the same phase line as the Multiplus-ii AC-in.
As soon as I switch on the Multiplus-ii there is no communication possible anymore between the PLCBUS devices.
When the Multiplus-ii is switched to inverter only or switched off PLCBUS communication works fine again.

Setup 2: PLCBUS connected to AC-out1 of the Multiplus-ii
The PLCBUS transmitter was connected to the PDU. Also a receiver device (a switch) was installed to the same PDU. No other devices where connected, so no extra load.
No communication seems to be possible between both devices.

Usually a buzzing sound can be heard when a command is send, but nothing can be heard in both Setup 1 and Setup 2.

Is there some interference between the PLCBUS protocol and the Multiplus-ii?
As far as I know PLCBUS works at 100kHz.

Any suggestions are welcome

Multiplus-II
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
@AlBundy

Moved to modifications

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

The problem is probably due to the EMC filtering on the Muli's Ac connections.

The 95 - 125kHz signal used by the PLCBUS device will get filtered off by the Multi. In order to get your system to work, you would need a series inductor between the PLCBUS injection point and the inverter, then communication on the injection side should be possible. A suitable inductor would be dual wound for both L & N, to do common mode isolation.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.